Some luck finding silver flatware today

Rented Mule

Apr 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dropped off some clothing donations for my wife today and took the opportunity to check what was new at this thrift store today.

Luck was with me and they had a bit of silver flatware that had just been put out during the past week.

First I found a couple of Norwegian .830 fine servers. The large is a pie/pastry server (no makers mark) and the smaller was made by Magnus Aase in their Flat Rose pattern. Large one is 59 grams and smaller one is 19 grams.

image.jpg image.jpg

Then I found 6 Sterling teaspoons and a jelly spoon made by Roger Wallace & Sons.

image.jpg image.jpg

Total weight on the Wallace spoons was 203 grams.

Final piece was a large sterling-handled serving fork:

image.jpg image.jpg

Weight on the serving fork is 77 grams so I figure sterling content for this piece is around 15 grams.

So total pure silver weight of around 266 grams or roughly 8-1/2 Troy ounces. Not bad for under $13 including sales tax.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good haul. Just to add a bit more…

For the large Norwegian pastry server, I believe the bracket/crescent-like mark is actually the maker’s mark, although I don’t recognise it. It sits between the silver standard mark and the national mark (where the maker’s mark normally sits) and isn’t something I would expect to be part of either of those marks.

The spoons are in Wallace’s “America” pattern, introduced in 1915 and designed by Henry L. Wallace.

I would be pretty sure that the large serving fork is by G.H. French & Co of North Attleboro, Massachusetts. They were active from the 1920s until absorbed into the Ellmore Silver Company in the late 1930s. Their patterns are not well-documented but compare to the set below, carrying the GHF mark on the handles. The handle pattern is different, but the business end is identical.

GHF.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rented Mule

Apr 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good haul. Just to add a bit more…

For the large Norwegian pastry server, I believe the bracket/crescent-like mark is actually the maker’s mark, although I don’t recognise it. It sits between the silver standard mark and the national mark (where the maker’s mark normally sits) and isn’t something I would expect to be part of either of those marks.

The spoons are in Wallace’s “America” pattern, introduced in 1915 and designed by Henry L. Wallace.

Thanks for all the great info Red-Coat!

I figured that the crescent might be a makers mark on the large pastry server but my research so far did not find any similar examples from known Norwegian silversmiths.

The Wallace spoons are monogrammed unfortunately so I am not sure if I will do any better than melt trying to sell them but I happily find sterling any day I can.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that’s awesome to find in one store!! It would not have lasted a hour here - let alone a week lol.

OP
OP
R

Rented Mule

Apr 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that’s awesome to find in one store!! It would not have lasted a hour here - let alone a week lol.

I can’t say they were out for a week, that would have been the maximum. This place dates everything when they price it and the date on the price tag was from 6 days prior from when I bought it. But they do not usually put out things the same day as they are priced, there is usually a few days lag at least. So it’s possible those silver pieces were put out the morning I bought them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread