Some more from Bama

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, thanks to all who post your pics of points. Just love seeing new stuff.

Thought I'd go threw some of my coffee cans and put some more frames together. These are all personal finds from my old central AL site except for the large dark point, center of the frame in the last picture. This was given to me. It came from a creek in southern AL.

Lots of quartz and quartzite and some misc. Also quite a few brokes and some rough stuff but at least I'm pretty confident they were all man made. :wink:

Attachments

• compressed photos.31.JPG
    compressed photos.31.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 362
  • compressed photos.32.JPG
    compressed photos.32.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 364
  • compressed photos.33.JPG
    compressed photos.33.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 341
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta start hunting for those artifacts. :o WoW, PY! Beautiful collection!! 8)

Nana :)

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds you have there PF, congrats.
It's very relaxing & great fun putting frames together.
Thankyou for sharin'

Molly. :)

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer trays pynchinflint.

My next door neighbors father lives in northern Alabama, Florence I think, and he has a pretty good size collection. I have seen some of his collection and he doesn't seem to have as much quartz as you do. What part of the state are you in? Just curious.

Thanks.

OP
OP
P

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
Nice finds you have there PF, congrats.
It's very relaxing & great fun putting frames together.
Thankyou for sharin'

Molly. :)

I couldn't agree with you more Molly. Pulling them back out again was just like seeing some old friends that you haven't seen for years.

OP
OP
P

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DF,

Glad you enjoyed the pics. These were all found in the Montgomery Co. area. It seems as though 90%+ of the points that I found were made out of some sort of quartz. Not sure if this was because of the material on hand or due to my color blindness. >:( The white ones just stick out to me. I sure do envy you folks that find the flint points. I've also visited your website DF. Huge congrats on all you finds. Very impressive. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, this site has been developed so no more goodies for me to find. I was just at the right place at the right time. Sure wish that I had found this Tnet web site back then because I surely discounted many artifacts as just rocks. The one rock I did keep(my whatzit post) evidently didn't turn out to be not much of anything. :D It has been 7 or 8 yrs since I've been out hunting. But thanks to this website, I need to put the thinking cap back on my melon and start figuring out new spots to hunt. Maybe some day I'll have a piece to put up on Molly's G-10 thread!

Happy Hunt'n

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
pynchinflint said:
Hey DF,

Glad you enjoyed the pics. These were all found in the Montgomery Co. area. It seems as though 90%+ of the points that I found were made out of some sort of quartz. Not sure if this was because of the material on hand or due to my color blindness. >:( The white ones just stick out to me. I sure do envy you folks that find the flint points. I've also visited your website DF. Huge congrats on all you finds. Very impressive. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, this site has been developed so no more goodies for me to find. I was just at the right place at the right time. Sure wish that I had found this Tnet web site back then because I surely discounted many artifacts as just rocks. The one rock I did keep(my whatzit post) evidently didn't turn out to be not much of anything. :D It has been 7 or 8 yrs since I've been out hunting. But thanks to this website, I need to put the thinking cap back on my melon and start figuring out new spots to hunt. Maybe some day I'll have a piece to put up on Molly's G-10 thread!

Happy Hunt'n

I have a close college friend in Selma that hunts at night down there. He carries a blacklight in one hand and straps on a headlamp. From what he tells me those quartz points really stick out at night.

You have to hand it to the Natives that inhabited the Guld Coast and Eastern Seaboard states. They had some junky material to work with as far as workability, but they made the best of it. With the exception of Agatized Coral and a few Florida Cherts they really didn't have great sources for material from what I gather.

Great Stuff.

Billco

Oct 8, 2007
Alabama
I live in Jefferson County (which includes Birmingham, as a point of reference). We find very few quartz artifacts here. When we see something quartz we know its "something," just because there is so little of it. Almost all are chert. No wonder because there are chert pits everywhere - one borders my best site.

OP
OP
P

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billco said:
I live in Jefferson County (which includes Birmingham, as a point of reference). We find very few quartz artifacts here. When we see something quartz we know its "something," just because there is so little of it. Almost all are chert. No wonder because there are chert pits everywhere - one borders my best site.

I find that VERY interesting. Geographically speaking, it only what 80+/- miles apart. I would think that there may have been more trading back and forth going on. Really lends credence to the NA's making due with what they had.

Cool stuff Billco. Thanks!

OP
OP
P

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing Billco. Looks like you've had a productive '08. Congrats. Gives me a much better idea of what chert looks like.

BTW not sure if you know this. There is an artifact show Oct. 11 down in Alex City as part of their Oktoberfest celebration. I think they tout it as being the biggest show in the state for the year. You'll be drooling for sure. ;D

Billco

Oct 8, 2007
Alabama
pynchinflint said:
Thanks for sharing Billco. Looks like you've had a productive '08. Congrats. Gives me a much better idea of what chert looks like.

BTW not sure if you know this. There is an artifact show Oct. 11 down in Alex City as part of their Oktoberfest celebration. I think they tout it as being the biggest show in the state for the year. You'll be drooling for sure. ;D

Thanks for the info. I'll probably be in Colorado during that time, maybe not. If I'm home, I'll try to check out that show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread