cobs2rev.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 474
OP
OP
R

Radu

Greenie
Feb 3, 2009
I was reading the posts on here and I see one guy had a bunch of coins he wanted help IDing. He said he wasn't selling them but according to his page they are all for sale now. I thought that was interesting. I hope no one is thinking that I am up to the same thing. None of mine are for sale, I am a "collector" my wife calls it "pack rat". We recently moved to Japan and I haven't gotten a chance to take my metal detector out yet. I'm not sure of the laws here yet. If anyone does I would be greatly appreciative of that kind of info as well. I have a Whites Classic IV ID that I need to kick the dust off when the snow melts. Thanks again.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Radu said:
I was reading the posts on here and I see one guy had a bunch of coins he wanted help IDing. He said he wasn't selling them but according to his page they are all for sale now. I thought that was interesting. I hope no one is thinking that I am up to the same thing. None of mine are for sale, I am a "collector" my wife calls it "pack rat". We recently moved to Japan and I haven't gotten a chance to take my metal detector out yet. I'm not sure of the laws here yet. If anyone does I would be greatly appreciative of that kind of info as well. I have a Whites Classic IV ID that I need to kick the dust off when the snow melts. Thanks again.

Hi,

Sorry nobody has replied to your nice post yet. Sometimes the cobs section of TNet gets deader than a doornail ;D

Anyway I share your appreciation for the maravedis cobs. I have cleaned and sold many 100's of them. I helped pay for my detecting addiction this way ;D

I've never gotten into the identification part because I really never cared about that. They're very old 1500's to mid 1600's and the early Conquistadors carried these in their pockets. That's enough for me!

Few people realize how great these copper cobs are. For some odd reason the pirate treasure crowd almost totally ignores them. Yet at all the great Spanish galleon wrecks so-far discovered they recover maravedis cobs (yes, even at the Atocha wreck site).

I call the maravedis cob "the poor man's piece of 8." Many are stamped with a big 8 for 8 maravedis.

I especially like them cleaned, polished, and sealed. Although this will cause most dealers to call them "fakes."

Enjoy you wonderful cobs and when you get back to the states hunt the old Conquistador sites down in southern Florida and maybe you'll be lucky enough to dig one that a real Conquistador carried.

Best to you and enjoy Japan. Dig me an awesome WWII relic! ;D

Badger

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
Radu said:

Maybe its just how I have my monitor set up or something, but to me the photos are too dark to see any of the details. I don't know if anyone else is having the same thing or not.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
They look like your common mid 1600's copper maravedis cobs but like you say the photos are very poor.

I notice he hasn't been back so...?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes the photos are too dark. Try using an overhead halogen light or better yet take the picture outdoors.

Welcome to TN and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
R

Radu

Greenie
Feb 3, 2009
I'm still here, just getting busy with on line classes. Thanks for the info I will try and take photos with my camera instead of the scanner. I'm sure they are very common type coins. Thank you very much so far I will work on the pics.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I enhanced this a little in photoshop. Hope it helps...

Attachments

• cobs2rev.jpg
    cobs2rev.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 335

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
They look better so maybe one of the others will identify them for you.

I have the nasty habit of cleaning my copper cobs. I've sold hundreds to jewelry makers and collectors.

My photos are poor but once polished & sealed with a very hard/clear jewelry sealer my coppers look almost like gold and they'll stay that way. I guess that's why so many like them for pendants.

Here's one I did recently. It's a double strike 1641 & 1652.

Best to you.

Badger

Attachments

• 1652cob.jpg
    1652cob.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 311
OP
OP
R

Radu

Greenie
Feb 3, 2009
Thank you for helping with the pic. I will work on some more of them when I get a chance tonight. I am never to sure how much cleaning to do. I want them to look good but don't want to devalue them. I don't know that they have any real value other than cool pieces for conversation. Thanks again I appreciate the help.

OP
OP
R

Radu

Greenie
Feb 3, 2009
I have been experimenting with electrolysis. I found this page that I followed and it works. It is recommended for silver coins but works with copper too. I am working on some pics to show the cleaner coins. I am surprised at how much I couldn't see before. I found some dates and on one I see a M with a little circle above it, which I believe is Mexico City mint mark. I am interested on how Badger cleans his. I have also thought about putting my dremel tool to work but I am hesitant.

http://www.mycoincollecting.com/collecting/cleaning-coins-electrolysis.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread