Some more stuff, actually from yesterday.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some more old stuff from town, washing up out of the trash dump and surrounding area. Got some more date nails, a few from the ground and a few I pulled from a fence, including that nice big 1942, which is a new one. Ive found a smaller 42 before, but never a big one like this. Its always cool to find the different varieties. Theres also a little wheat penny, but its so rusty? (Is that even possible?), I cant tell what the date is, but I can make out a "191". Any ideas on how to clean this up a little bit to expose the date and mint, if there is one? Also that Oregon Short Line RR car seal thing, kind of cool how it ended up all the way down here. And thats a fossil I found in a pen. There was a bunch more of this rock around, but this piece was the only one I noticed having any fossils in it. There are a couple more fossils I noticed on the other side, but its all scratched up. The best fossils I see are the ones in the photo, which are not very clear, my apologies. And thats some ancient seashell sticking out at the left, I think.

DSC04334.jpg DSC04335.jpg DSC04340.jpg DSC04341.jpg DSC04343.jpg DSC04344.jpg DSC04330.jpg DSC04346.jpg DSC04347.jpg

Heres another little rattlesnake I nearly stepped on out in the desert, along with a big horny toad.

DSC04324.jpg DSC04318.jpg

DSC04353.jpg DSC04355.jpg DSC04356.jpg

And does anyone know what this is, and how old it might be? I found some "Larson" wire related stuff online from the 1910s, but I dont know if this is the same "Larson". The thing broke when I tried to unscrew it.

Last edited:
Upvote 16

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds...Congrats on a nice hunt.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure do find lots of date nails. You got a series of consecutive dates by now, I presume.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE RATTLE FIND....

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pueblo
I like all your finds except the rattler !
Gary

Me too. I hate finding those things. And you only ever see them when they're crawling across the road in front of you or when you're right up on them. The little ones are said to be more dangerous than larger ones.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure do find lots of date nails. You got a series of consecutive dates by now, I presume.

My earliest is a 1903, which is pretty good I think since most RRs only started using them in 1900 or 1901 or so. From there I have 1906 to 1911. Then from 1914 all the way to 1932, but my 1920 is pretty rough. Ive found a 1912 and 1913 before, but they were too far gone to bother with. I think I may have a 1933, as well, but its really rusty and could be a 1936 or 1938. After 1932, I have a 1935 all the way up to 1944, no 1945 yet, a 1946, 1949, a couple 1951s, 1952, a bent 1955 and a few 1957s. The newer ones are harder to find than the older ones I think. And the reason I find so many is because there are so many old RR ties around being used for other things, such as fence posts and in cattle guards and corrals and so forth. You often see extra or replaced ties laying around these fence and corrals too. The RRs replace them and will leave the ties in big piles by the RR, and are free for anybody to come and take home, so thats how they get so spread out everywhere I guess, and not just along the RRs..

And I didnt even know what these things were until last year, so Ive been walking by them my entire life and as result know of many places where there are old rr ties still in use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tasty snake though. Did ya eat it?

Oh no, I dont kill them if I dont have to. And this little guy wasnt bothering me. I think he was either very lethargic or nearly dead because he wasnt moving when I tossed some little stones his way.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no, I dont kill them if I dont have to. And this little guy wasnt bothering me. I think he was either very lethargic or nearly dead because he wasnt moving when I tossed some little stones his way.

Lethargic or a little bit of trickery. I bet he would get very active if you tried to pick him up :) Just ask my good friend Dumb Bob, Lost his thumb to one.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lethargic or a little bit of trickery. I bet he would get very active if you tried to pick him up :) Just ask my good friend Dumb Bob, Lost his thumb to one.

You're probably right. I notice reptiles tend to stay very still, to try and blend in I guess, until you disturb them. Im sure he moved a little bit when I threw a rock at him, and I could have easily lopped his head off with the machete I carry, but I didnt want to mess with him. I, personally, hate snakes.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My earliest is a 1903, which is pretty good I think since most RRs only started using them in 1900 or 1901 or so. From there I have 1906 to 1911. Then from 1914 all the way to 1932, but my 1920 is pretty rough. Ive found a 1912 and 1913 before, but they were too far gone to bother with. I think I may have a 1933, as well, but its really rusty and could be a 1936 or 1938. After 1932, I have a 1935 all the way up to 1944, no 1945 yet, a 1946, 1949, a couple 1951s, a bent 1955 and a few 1957s. The newer ones are harder to find than the older ones I think. And the reason I find so many is because there are so many old RR ties around being used for other things, such as fence posts and in cattle guards and corrals and so forth. You often see extra or replaced ties laying around these fence and corrals too. The RRs replace them and will leave the ties in big piles by the RR, and are free for anybody to come and take home, so thats how they get so spread out everywhere I guess, and not just along the RRs..

And I didnt even know what these things were until last year, so Ive been walking by them my entire life and as result know of many places where there are old rr ties still in use.

I remember an article in a treasure mag when I was a youngster. I was intrigued by them, but never found any and never heard anymore about them until you started showing some. Thanks for the nostalgia.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to find another box to put all of my nails in, and when I do Ill post some more photos for you guys to see.

Bodhi69

Jul 31, 2017
Treasure Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fischer Aquanaut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? No close up of the Rattler? Just kidding. If I had stumbled across it my day would have been done and the last thing I'd get would be a picture. Now the Toad on the other hand. Thats a pretty cool little guy. Congrats on the finds

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The item marked Larson is a turnbuckle.

Mr Horney Toad looks very intense.

StonedOregonhunter

Jun 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds I love the old shotgun headers! I sometimes use 3% Hydrogen peroxide heated in the microwave. First get as much debris off the coin as possible by rinsing, let your copper sit in the peroxide for a while and then take a damp Q-tip gently rub in the solution to loosen grime and occasionally take it out of The solution onto a paper towel in with a damp Q-tip go over a few times. Repeat as needed. It's a possibility it could be too far shot as well. I hope this helps it usually works for me. This method does have a tendency to dry a coin out a bit so you can soak in some olive oil afterwards if needed. HH

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember an article in a treasure mag when I was a youngster. I was intrigued by them, but never found any and never heard anymore about them until you started showing some. Thanks for the nostalgia.

Any time

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds I love the old shotgun headers! I sometimes use 3% Hydrogen peroxide heated in the microwave. First get as much debris off the coin as possible by rinsing, let your copper sit in the peroxide for a while and then take a damp Q-tip gently rub in the solution to loosen grime and occasionally take it out of The solution onto a paper towel in with a damp Q-tip go over a few times. Repeat as needed. It's a possibility it could be too far shot as well. I hope this helps it usually works for me. This method does have a tendency to dry a coin out a bit so you can soak in some olive oil afterwards if needed. HH

Thank you, ill try that for sure. Its just a wheaty, but I dont find many old coins, and the 1910s is still pretty early for Arizona history, which has always been important to me.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The larson item is likely a turnbuckle for an old screen door.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions