Some NC and SC personal finds

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1980, when I was 19 years old I moved from Maryland to the Charlotte, NC area to live with my parents, who had moved there a year or so before me. It was GREAT living by myself in their house in MD rent free at age 18, but my older sister and her large family were getting ready to move in with me. My Dad had offered me a better job at the paper company he was managing in NC, so I loaded up my 69 Camaro with my cat, guitar, arrowheads and bottles, and migrated south.
The second day that I was in North Carolina, I hopped in the car with my folks who wanted to drive me around the area to get "the lay of the land" so to speak. A few miles from where I was now going to live, some development was taking place on some rolling hills and valley's next to the Catawba River. The land had been pretty much cleared of the previous forest, and was now a mix of exposed dirt, uprooted tree stumps, and scrub brush. My Dad had stopped there a week or so prior and found a small quartz arrowhead, and thought that a good way to get me over the sadness of leaving all my childhood friends and home, would be to look for some arrowheads, and it worked.

I hadn't been out of the car for 20 minutes before I spotted the large rhyolite spear/knife/Guilford that I am holding in my hand, as it was 3 feet up in the air, sticking out of the dirt attached to an up rooted stump. Most of the points in this frame came from that spot, although some also came from a field in Fort Mill, SC where I lived briefly with my girlfriend, that later became my first wife. A recent Google Earth search shows that there are now high end homes carefully manicured across the rolling hills and valleys that helped welcome me to North Carolina.

NC SC points.JPG 1st NC point.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
R

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
The head in the top left of second photo.......Never seen one like that. What ya reckon it is? A knife?
Good question, I would like to find out for sure. I think it is a knife, and have seen some in the Overstreet's guides listed as Edgefield scrapers, but they had notched bases so I am not sure if this one is considered an Edgefield scraper or not ?? It is in two pieces, both were laying next to each other on the surface when I found them, obviously broken by the machinery that cleared the land. I scratched around some with a stick trying to find the two chips that are still missing with no luck. I think it would be considered a Savannah River style point, but with that steep angle on one side, it may have some other name or purpose.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of points! I grew up on the lake Wylie at the Buster Boyd bridge. Hunted around that area since the late 70's. Still do.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO the item you are talking about is what is called a side scraper and that is about the best one of that shape I have seen. All of those artifacts are great finds:notworthy::notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread