Some new dig finds

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these digging around the grave yard. The small paint pot fragment still has some red pigment left in it. They both are made of the same materiel. The point/drill in the middle (1.5 inches) is unfinished as it still has a bulb on the tip. The broken knife base at the top top would have been a nice find whole. The triangle shaped scraper is super thin. And the pottery lug has the same design as most of the ones I find. We finally received some rain to soften the ground. My arm is really getting sore from digging. Hope everyone had a nice holiday. Thanks for viewing!

Attachments

• 011 (1024x768).jpg
    011 (1024x768).jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 321
  • 010 (1024x768) (2).jpg
    010 (1024x768) (2).jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0

PrimitiveOne

Mar 30, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds-That unfinished drill looks like it is just a flake. If you look at the top (widest area) you can see the ground platform (round knob) that was hit with a hammerstone or pressure flaker. When the hit occurred the wider piece fractured away from the rock and the smaller area is just the tapering off of the flake which is normal. It may have been kept for a drill. Are there any flakes removed from the skinny area or is it just a long blade?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
You state "paint pot fragment" but I'm wondering if what you've found is the entire paint pot? Sure looks like it to me! Those are some nice finds to warm this site up, been kinda cold in here lately. I like the material on the triangle scraper :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The drill/point is flaked on all sides. I have a blade I found today that I am going to post and I will flip it over and I will include it in the pic. Now that paint pot does look like they were still using it 1320. The broken edges patina is the same color as the smooth. Thanks for the views/comments!

F

Felinepeachy

Good job!! I would love to find a paint pot. What era do those come from?

OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the rocks I find are Hopewell or Woodland FP. Thanks for viewing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread