Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

finderofpoints

Mar 31, 2007
S.E. Louisiana
Johnny X said:
Very nice finds my friend. Pretty colors.

That last one is NICE.

xstevenx
Thanks, found another one today just like this one, only more red in color.This point is still VERY sharp, almost as if it was just made.I'll post the other tomorrow. Thanks for the response

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
Yeah man nice stuff ;D I'd love to see the none in situ pics as well. those are some cool pictures though. I almost never get to tell if somethings a point before I poke it with a stick. I usually see tiny portions of them. nice work

colin

OP
OP
F

finderofpoints

Mar 31, 2007
S.E. Louisiana
tomsneck said:
Yeah man nice stuff ;D I'd love to see the none in situ pics as well. those are some cool pictures though. I almost never get to tell if somethings a point before I poke it with a stick. I usually see tiny portions of them. nice work

colin
Sorry a couple of those pics are blurry...still getting used to my camera. Hope next ones are better

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

You will find a bunch of those in Louisiana. They are normally that size, what I called a medium point...not really great workmanship, but not bad. Usually they are thicker made. There are two points very similar....Travis and Carrolton. What you have there is a Carrolton IMO. Mid-late Archaic....about 4,000 years old give or take a few decades...lol

I cant seem to find any good fields to look in up here in North LA. Seems the cotton fields have been so turned over that not much survives...I am stuck digging in the woods or walking the lakeshore... :'(

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking the time to shoot those in-situ picks. makes my heart rate go up just seein' them.
I think if i ever come across sites like this I'll have to take another pair of pants.
-thomas

OP
OP
F

finderofpoints

Mar 31, 2007
S.E. Louisiana
Atlantis0077 said:
Morning,

You will find a bunch of those in Louisiana. They are normally that size, what I called a medium point...not really great workmanship, but not bad. Usually they are thicker made. There are two points very similar....Travis and Carrolton. What you have there is a Carrolton IMO. Mid-late Archaic....about 4,000 years old give or take a few decades...lol

I cant seem to find any good fields to look in up here in North LA. Seems the cotton fields have been so turned over that not much survives...I am stuck digging in the woods or walking the lakeshore... :'(

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis
Hey, thanks for the info...got lucky finding this field- timber company came in, took the pines and the stumps then replanted. Everything is turned up! It is located right next to a creek on a high ridge and there's a smaller feeder creek just below the field. Ideal spot i guess, seems to have many different points here from many eras. No telling how much stuff is in this field but the bad thing is that it's already getting alot of weeds/shrubs growing in it and the saplings have come up...once that happens i'll have to wait another 20 years or so till they come back and harvest the pine trees again!!

OP
OP
F

finderofpoints

Mar 31, 2007
S.E. Louisiana
lamplighter36 said:
Thanks for taking the time to shoot those in-situ picks. makes my heart rate go up just seein' them.
I think if i ever come across sites like this I'll have to take another pair of pants.
-thomas
Thanks, i agree, very exciting--i am hooked on my new hobby now...nothing beats seeing that point in the ground and being able to pick it knowing it hasn't been touched in a thousand+ years and the ones who made these points depended on them for their own survival. I feel honored to be able to recover these items

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking points, we don't have many plowed fields in
my area anymore, but we also have a lot of timber companys
doing a lot of dozing & stiring up the ground in places, so that helps the Artifact Hunters.

Fossis..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread