Some New Food For Consideration

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fellas, I won't be staying around for this conversation, too many other things to pursue. However, has it ever occurred to anyone that all of the characters in the story are local residents, and that given this, that the TJB of the story was likely a resident as well? Also, if this be the case, then the unknown author would have been aware of the significance of the addition of the "J" in the main character's initials. Somewhere, somehow, and for whatever reason the unknown author had reason to include that "J". Questions are, why, and what significance might it serve? :dontknow:

Just tossing this into the already HUGE pot of water and dust so you guys can maul it over. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fellas, I won't be staying around for this conversation, too many other things to pursue. However, has it ever occurred to anyone that all of the characters in the story are local residents, and that given this, that the TJB of the story was likely a resident as well? Also, if this be the case, then the unknown author would have been aware of the significance of the addition of the "J" in the main character's initials. Somewhere, somehow, and for whatever reason the unknown author had reason to include that "J". Questions are, why, and what significance might it serve? :dontknow:

Just tossing this into the already HUGE pot of water and dust so you guys can maul it over. :laughing7:

And "no" this isn't the same as before, this angle being a little different.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
.. the unknown author would have been aware of the significance of the addition of the "J" in the main character's initials. Somewhere, somehow, and for whatever reason the unknown author had reason to include that "J". Questions are, why, and what significance might it serve?...
After a cool close Burma Shave with Occam's Razor, the obvious answer is to separate the real Thomas Beale who had the duel with Ward's grandfather, James Beverly Risqué, from the fictional character "Thomas J Beale" of the 1885 Beale Papers.
After THE HART PAPERS added "JEFFERSON" for the "J" and Pauline Innis following suit with "GOLD IN THE BLUE RIDGE", its been splitting hairs over the existence of the real Beale.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Some on here take the smug position
That others post facts spun from fiction
While their posts take on the track
They claim their fiction's 99% fact
On and on, nothing in the way
As rehashed tales rule the day
Time to get that Burma Shave!

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, and it was marketed to be sold to local residents.
I believe I have mentioned that a time or two. :laughing7:

why do you think that, i was thinking the pamphlets were maybe a test set
if did well in lynch, move them on to other bigger cities, i think the 50c price
was a little steep though

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... i was thinking the pamphlets were maybe a test set
if did well in lynch, move them on to other bigger cities, i think the 50c price
was a little steep though
Thinking Ward and Sherman were working with the 1885 premise:" If you can sell it in Lynchburg, you can sell it anywhere"?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

LOL! Mulling over the "J" as many do... COULD be for Jew as in "CSA Max"... Thomas Jefferson wanted a Military Institute in the WESTERN part of Virginia to train soldiers to protect the frontier from "Indians", Brits, French, lawlessness, etc. during his time as Prez of the new USA. VMI then became a "hot-bed" of training future CSA REBS, & Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson was a Professor there. So, "J" COULD be for JEW, JEFFERSON, or JACKSON anyway. So after the CONFEDERATE WAR, VMI was re-built & became part of US Military "training, again (MHO). WHERE did the $$$$$$$$$ to rebuild VMI come from...? Inquiring Minds wanna KNOW!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
James Beverly Ward's cousin, CSA Major Edward Sixtus Hutter, graduated 5th in his VMI class of 1859.
During the War of Northern Aggression he served as aide to CSA Gen J E B Stuart, and CSA Cat W H Otey's Virginia Light Artillery.
During April and May of 1865 he commanded the Danville Arsenal, where he received CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin's personal copy of Vattels LAW OF NATIONS with handwritten notes that was employed as a Confederate code book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread