Some nice finds from Bavaria, UPDATE from the corn field with pics...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted a corn field in Bavaria near my house, 2 minutes away, there’s no place like home! The corn is only 2”-3” high now and made a nice hunt. This field has been giving up awesome finds for years. Here’s the best of about 3 hours worth of detecting, also found several other relics and coins not pictured from the late 1800s to early 1900s. Found this cross then a few glass beads close by, probably a Rosary necklace and dating before the 1850s as the lower right bead is a rolled bead. Glass beads and marbles were revolutionized around the 1850s.
27May07cross.jpg

A few buttons, the two far right are WWII German and the bottom row middle is made of lead.
27May07buttonsO.jpg

The shank side of the buttons if you are interested.
27May07buttonsR.jpg

Mostly lead, upper left seems to be a ceramic type musket ball, they were short lived. Two lead musket balls, two lead soldiers, two lead seals, a lead 3 ring bullet and a square nail that fit into the hole as you will see.
27May07lead.jpg

Two medals of sort, one with a Maltese cross or Iron cross and one with a coat of arms. Spent about 15 minutes crisscrossing the area looking for the other piece of the cross.
27May07medalsR.jpg

Reverse of the medals, left a man dressed in very old style attire, right an archer with his bow on skis. It may be a sports medal.
27May07medals.jpg

A few of the nicer and oldest coins, left a holed coin from 1800 and the hole was obviously made with a square nail, the square nail I found fits nicely, LOL! A silver 1825 12th Thaler in good condition and an 1851 Kreuzer.
27May07coinssilO.jpg

Reverse of the coins.
27May07coinssilR.jpg

Some of the finds I really like. A buckle dating from 1500-1650 and a glass spindle whorl. Hope to get back out today for a few hours but there are thunderstorms in the forecast. HH and Happy Memorial Day, Mike
27May07Buckwhorl.jpg

Invited my friend Florian for a hunt on the corn field today, he has detected with me a few times here. We detected for just 45 minutes before the clouds opened up and down came the rain. Made several finds in the short hunt between us. Florian found an early 1800s silver Kreuzer coin, very small, a late 1700s small copper Heller coin, two flat buttons and a buckle dating around 250 years old. Here’s the corn field I have been hunting with strips of wheat, the rows of corn are about 18” apart, other corn fields are only 8” apart.
28May07field.jpg

Here are my finds, a lead seal with binder twine sized rope imprints on the reverse. A flat button missing the shank and a brooch with pin holes on the reverse.
28May07relics.jpg

Two aluminum thimbles, the left thimble has a nice unusual glass head with the Latin word “VERITAS”=”TRUTH” around the hole. The other thimble is mangled aluminum with some ornate design around the hole.
28May07thimbles.jpg

An interesting large tag with the name Joh. Bäuml Kemnath. About 12” down. These were used on animal harnesses as far as I know. I checked the 1860 consensus of the town in my Kemnath history book, no mention of the family name Bäuml, I would estimate the date of the tag to be around the early 1900s. Always nice to find something with the town’s name attached. HH, Mike
28May07baumltag.jpg

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Some nice finds from Bavaria...

Bavaria Mike,

just an outstanding :o group of
artifacts.

So much history.

I would be out there in the rain for
a chance at stuff like that. ;D

Thanks for posting; again
outstanding.

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Shermanville! I changed the "rain" to "Thunderstorms" in the post, I will do rain but not lightning, LOL! I detected the last 20 minutes in the rain yesterday until I heard the thunder. HH, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice bunch of finds.

The lead button is a nice early example, good to have the loop on.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Nice finds

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Alway's some very interesting find's Mike,I'd be in seventh heaven.What do you think was inlaid in the cross?Congrat's on the nice find's Mike and HH!!

steelheadfever

Jun 15, 2005
Caldwell,Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT/Minelab XT-70/Whites Beach Hunter ID

Nice finds Mike, You are going to have to find a storage shed for all the finds. I take it the abandoned military base was a bust? Keep living my dream. HH Dennis in Idaho

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great stuff as always Mike!! Man, I miss the hunting over there.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Those are some Great relics you found. Thanks for sharing.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Cool stuff! I like that 1825 Thaler; that's probably considered modern over there, huh?

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Like usual, amazing group of finds, good old treasures, congrats and thanks for sharing buddy! Keep em coming, good luck.

Smiles!
BDoo

R

RUDY2003

As usual, some relly cool finds. Love the cross, what's it made of? Excellent group...

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Updated todays finds on the corn field. Thanks all for the comments! The cross is made of copper and was inlayed with wood, I have found several of the same type with the wood intact, some had an image of Christ on them also made of copper. HH, Mike

folkert

Feb 10, 2004
Germany
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero Germany
Hi MIke, what I especially like, is the spindle whorl made of glass. Usually they are made of clay. Could it as well be a early medieval glass bead? Otherwise: once again a really impressing haul of very nice finds.
HH, Folkert

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds Mike. I am constantly amazed with the variety and age of your finds. Well done.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting. Your finds are really unusual and interesting. If you go out in a corn field around here your will find dirt and possibly some old pieces of farm machinery. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread