Some nice finds from my yard

nolifeking

Oct 12, 2010
Well I hit the yard again. I was focusing on just digging any target iron or not just so I can clean up the yard and hopefully clear it out enough to get some coin signals that might be hiding with the iron nails. I dug 42 iron nails tonight. Here are my goodies for my hard work though.

1897 Barber (My first barber dime!)
1923 Merc
Last is some sort of tack. Not a coin, but I thought it was interesting. It looks big in the pic, but its smaller that a time. A little smaller than a half dime. Any thoughts on what it was for?
DSCF1972.jpg

DSCF1973.jpg

DSCF1970.jpg

DSCF1971.jpg

Upvote 0

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice yard finds. Congrats on the first barber dime.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Dime! Never saw a tack like that :icon_scratch:
You may be at the start of beginners luck roll.
Maybe try expanding your hunting areas :hello:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Similar to a date nail used by the railroad but I have no idea why it would be in your yard unless someone at one time used some old railroad ties for a landscaping project. . Here there is some discussion about stubby date nails & what they might have been used for. Or yours could just have rusted away to appear much shorter than when it was new. http://facstaff.uindy.edu/~oaks/DateNailInfo.htm

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
NHBandit said:
Similar to a date nail used by the railroad but I have no idea why it would be in your yard unless someone at one time used some old railroad ties for a landscaping project. . Here there is some discussion about stubby date nails & what they might have been used for. Or yours could just have rusted away to appear much shorter than when it was new. http://facstaff.uindy.edu/~oaks/DateNailInfo.htm
I found numbered tacks just like that on the window frames on my old house. I like the silver! DD

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your tack is a type of date nail, the smaller ones were used by city utilities to date telephone poles

dfx willy said:
i think someone said before its a telephone pole number. nice hunt. willy

nice finds on the silver!

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
NOLA_Ken said:
your tack is a type of date nail, the smaller ones were used by city utilities to date telephone poles

dfx willy said:

Attachments

• MVC-967F.JPG
    MVC-967F.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 683
  • MVC-968F.JPG
    MVC-968F.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 684

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
DiggerDave in Pa. said:
NOLA_Ken said:

dfx willy said:

Yep...going to post the same response as DiggerDave. Had those in a house I owned from the turn of the 1900's. ID'ed the storm windows so you wouldn't mix them up when putting them away for the winter. Still, a pretty cool find.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Once again, I have proved that I am not a fool by learning something new today! I have never heard of numbered window tacks before, but having very limited experience with removable storm windows, maybe I am safe from scorn on that matter. But it is obviously a useful concept. Function dominates over form. It is always interesting what things are found and where. I have concluded that things are there because they are there. No other reasoning answers the question.

Sure wish my mother hadn't thrown out my RR date nails. And my marbles. And my baseball cards.

OP
OP
N

nolifeking

Oct 12, 2010
steelheadwill said:
Nice Dime! Never saw a tack like that :icon_scratch:
You may be at the start of beginners luck roll.
Maybe try expanding your hunting areas :hello:

The reason I'm focusing so much on my yard now is because I'm going to be moving out at the end of May. It's just an apartment building and I have a internship for the summer. The house was built in the late 1800's-early 1900's and was renevated into apartments in the 1950's. This place is huge! The house was built by a lumber baron and I'm pretty sure he had like 12 kids. Sort of a neat history note, but in my kitchen it has some of the original draws and some are labled candle wicks and baby bottles. So I'm pretty sure my kitchen use to be the nursery. ;D The landlord isn't going to let me detect once I'm not there so that I don't bug the new tenants so the clock is ticking. I'm sure going to miss detecting this yard. I'm trying to find all I can before time is up.
Here's what I've found in the yard so far in just one summer and part of this spring.
7 I.H's
1 seated dime
2 early merc's
1 barber dime
1 barber quarter
1 washington (silver)
a good 20 wheaties
2 liberty nickels
1 buffalo
plus tons of neat relics

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread