Some observations from a new user.

May 12, 2010
Floyd, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE with Pro coil, Fisher CZ7a pro
I have at least till now found that in the high trashy (iron) areas I hunt, I prefer IM at 29 in the ferrous settings. To me I rather hear the low sounds than the threshold nulling all the time. When I get a high tone with those settings I switch to Conduct and listen as well to see if it has the "fluty" sound and train my ears for it.
As I said for now that is what seems to be the best for me but as time goes on it will be subject to change.
I have done a lot of reading and watching video's prior to getting my SE and I appreciate everyones help and time in posting the informative information.
I have been detecting for several years and finally was able to get me an Explorer and I love this machine!! :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think changing over like that will just extend your learning curve because it's better to learn one way or the other. You still use the detector the same way regardless of what sounds, but I can guarantee you if you hunt a lot in ferrous your ears will never be as good as they could in conductive. (because of the noise using high sens.-low disc.) Sticking just to one takes a very long time to really know, know meaning the very tough targets, the last few % that can barely be seen by a detector.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve_Stonewall_Brigade said:
Thanks for the info IP. Thats what I am looking for some good tips and ideas.

I've used ferrous at times along the way, with the longest being about three months than decided to change back to conductive and never look back. I might have thought I had a good handle on things but certainly didn't now that I look back now. Been several years since I had any new little light bulb moments with this detector but there sure was many alog the way. I'd almost hate to see a detector that was proven better because it would suck to have to do it all again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions