some old Texas calligraphy.....

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
It seems the wifes' granddad was quite the calligrapher.
I had seen some of his work in the fold of the old family bible. Names, births and deaths. very cool stuff.
Digging in some old family pics the other day we came across this envelope addressed to my wifes' mother by her dad. Wifes' maternal grandad..."Daddy Jim"
He did a wild revision on a wood stock atop a .30 carbine that we have too.

DSC00755.JPG

funny that is all the address you needed in those days... not so long ago in 1947.

sometimes I hanker for the old days.... until thoughts turn to such things as old time dentistry and such.

bravo

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And they're not even teaching kids how to print anymore. I know kids that cannot read the printed word.
Cursive, that's what I meant, not printing.

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can pass high school
while the teacher reads your exam to you

liftloop

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is some really nice writing. I've always been fond of fancy handwriting. I can still print and write cursive that is readable; but with age it has deteriorated a bit. Yes, I can remember when a lot of people's mail would reach them with the name, town, and state for the address.
Now y'all have hit a nerve! I'll try to make this short; I could probably make it several pages long. I'm 71 yo. I graduated high school in 1960. I spent some time helping my wife's younger brother with some of the 'new math' that had just started in the mid 60s. I had a hard time trying to get it through my head just what the book was trying to tell me. I just could not believe it could be as simple as it appeared. But, it was. Just count the little circles and write how many there were in the bundle. My daughter came home with some math problems. I showed her how to work the problems. She came home the next day telling me that the teacher wouldn't accept the work because it wasn't done the way it was being taught now. What?? I talked to the teacher. I told her that I really couldn't see just how the 'new' way was better than the 'old/my' way. She said that she had also been taught the way that I was taught, but that now it had to be done differently. After several days of fuming about the 'new' way, I found a couple of problems that the 'new' way would not work. I called the teacher and explained it to her. She admitted that this had been a problem all along; but wasn't going to be changed. Then they started letting the students use calculators in class, even on tests. I was told that it saved class time! Talk about 'dumbing down America'. Give a cashier a ten dollar bill for a $4.69 purchase. If he/she didn't have the register to tell him/her how much change to give back, they would be lost. I wonder just how many could really make change like we older people used to do? OK. I'll get off my soapbox; but, when we wakeup some morning, and find that technology has been wiped out by some disaster, it will be too late.

Last edited:

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love calligraphy! very nice. thanks for sharing. This a true art form nowadays.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That is some really nice writing. I've always been fond of fancy handwriting. I can still print and write cursive that is readable; but with age it has deteriorated a bit. Yes, I can remember when a lot of people's mail would reach them with the name, town, and state for the address.
Now y'all have hit a nerve! I'll try to make this short; I could probably make it several pages long. I'm 71 yo. I graduated high school in 1960. I spent some time helping my wife's younger brother with some of the 'new math' that had just started in the mid 60s. I had a hard time trying to get it through my head just what the book was trying to tell me. I just could not believe it could be as simple as it appeared. But, it was. Just count the little circles and write how many there were in the bundle. My daughter came home with some math problems. I showed her how to work the problems. She came home the next day telling me that the teacher wouldn't accept the work because it wasn't done the way it was being taught now. What?? I talked to the teacher. I told her that I really couldn't see just how the 'new' way was better than the 'old/my' way. She said that she had also been taught the way that I was taught, but that now it had to be done differently. After several days of fuming about the 'new' way, I found a couple of problems that the 'new' way would not work. I called the teacher and explained it to her. She admitted that this had been a problem all along; but wasn't going to be changed. Then they started letting the students use calculators in class, even on tests. I was told that it saved class time! Talk about 'dumbing down America'. Give a cashier a ten dollar bill for a $4.69 purchase. If he/she didn't have the register to tell him/her how much change to give back, they would be lost. I wonder just how many could really make change like we older people used to do? OK. I'll get off my soapbox; but, when we wakeup some morning, and find that technology has been wiped out by some disaster, it will be too late.

There is a local convenience store, and a local high school grad got a part time job in the store. I bought an item for $2.69, and put a $5 bill and three quarters on the counter. She couldn't make the change. I told her to give me $3 and 6 cents back. She started crying. I felt terrible, pulled the three quarters, she made the change using the register. Then she got a job at the local bank. I kid you not. Now with the new common core text books it will only get worse, much worse.

Getting back on subject, I have a photo of my great grandmother that she signed on the back. Wow! They really were taught penmanship in those days.
Julia1.jpg Julia.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have just about trashed the education system in the name of progress.
Progress to what annihilation? Companies can't find employees that are educated enough to work for them! You know the basics, reading, writing, math, plus my all time favorite, being able to think. They blame lack of a college education.
Maybe it's too much of the wrong kind of education.

Calligraphy requires time, it's relaxing to produce something beautiful. Guess it doesn't fit in our fast paced road to ruin.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BosnMate, I love that picture. The handwriting is flawless. I'm sure that it made you feel bad when the girl began crying. You just reaffirmed my statement about how the newer generation has been dumbed down. You continuously see these movies about after the destruction of society and how the people cope so marvelously. They make do with what they have and live quite well. I wonder just how well the newer generation would fare if it happened today?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions