Some oldies, from one hole. ID Help maybe?

jdean

Jun 18, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Past- Whites DFX, Whites Spectra V3, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250 - Currently XP DEUS & Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today I went hunting for about 3 hours at a permission that I have dug some late 1800's indians and some modern rings. Long story short, this home is a late 1800's build, but the property was a rail yard before that, so it is extremely trashy with iron plate and bits everywhere. VERY slow digging there.

But, here goes. About a week ago I hit a strong signal and it was 3 buried bricks about 4 inches down with an axe head, a pocket knife, and some kind of file for shoeing horses. My stupid pinpointer went dead on me, so I had to wait until today to dig further down. So tonight I dig and dig and dig until I am about 16 inches down (where signals stopped) and I dug all of this out of the hole

; finds.jpg

The nails are square, the knife blade is about 10-12 inches long, the spoon is iron, and the bottle is one of 2 just like it that I have dug, this one still has the cork in it. the pottery pieces are very thick. The BUCKLE is what xcited me the most, as I figure some of you will be able to ID it, and date it. Let me know if you need more pictures. This spot at this home is where ALL of the old stuff has come from, maybe a 10x10 area, and it is crazy trashy, BUT if these are any kind of special, I will excavate the layers all the way down to clean it out and see what is there.

Oh, I also found a pipe down to a well that was buried, I opened it up and it goes about 30 ft deep! I REALLY wanna drop a magnet down in there!

So that was my day, very good day for me.

Upvote 8

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um... well one thing is for sure... you are on one hell of a spot.

Definitely go back.

As far as your finds are concerned I will leave the button and buckle folks inform you on the buckle.

I am interested in the spoon and knife.

Would love to see the crust removed / washed up and another good pic of them.

You did extremely well and will be looking for future posts on your finds at this spot.

OP
OP
jdean

jdean

Jun 18, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Past- Whites DFX, Whites Spectra V3, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250 - Currently XP DEUS & Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is about the best I can do on clean up. These are in bad shape.

pottery.jpg pottery small.jpg buckle.jpg spoon.jpg knife.jpg

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t_o.gif
Nice finds john845. Now, pull out that magnet and let us know what else you find! Thanks for sharing...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job!

AARC is right go back and "hammer" that place.

OP
OP
jdean

jdean

Jun 18, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I hit the house again today. Dug a bunch of trash, but I did get some pottery pieces, a nice copper button, and I think a cast iron pot lid? Any ideas you have on dates would be appreciated. This site is slam full of iron nails. I think the existing place may have burned or something. I know this is all nowhere near what others are posting, but this is my first historical place that I have found on my own. Here are the pics!

View attachment 1573476
View attachment 1573477
View attachment 1573478
View attachment 1573479
View attachment 1573480
View attachment 1573481

Last edited:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Keep hitting it...."NOTHING" is hunted out...nice finds...

OP
OP
jdean

jdean

Jun 18, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit it again this afternoon, but it turned a little cold. Same house, same spot. Weird chain tackle (maybe horse tack?) another broken knife handle. A big piece of iron from maybe an oven? This site is loaded, but man it is ALL junky. I LOVE IT!

20180404_190559.jpg 20180404_190552.jpg 20180404_190539.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look at the seam that runs the bottle, if goes right over the lip then it's machine made. If it sops just under the lip then its an applied lip, the likely spot is half to 2/3rds up the neck and that will put the bottle into another date range. Digging sq. nails is a great indication of stuff being 100+ yrs old and you dig enough iron the goods will be there. I hit the iron with the Deus where I hear everything, noisy but it produces the finds in the iron as well.
Here's a link that helps dating of bottles

https://sha.org/bottle/dating.htm#Dating a Bottle Section of Dating Page

OP
OP
jdean

jdean

Jun 18, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME!!! Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread