Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks to me like pic 1 and 6 are garnet, small black piece looks like possibly black tourmaline, if green- green tourmaline.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lets see...

Pic 2 & 3 have a slight resemblance of Chert.
Possibly quartz/Chalcedony (quartz variety).

4 & 5 Looks like Moss agate? Hard to say, can you scratch the white stuff with a knife?
Could also be Tremolite (the green stuff). Tremolite often has a "fibrous" structure.
Try to get a better pic. :)

6 is probarbly Garnet

7 Quartz with inclusions? Possibly Quartzite.

8 The pink might be Rose quartz, the small dark thingie might be Tourmaline or Hornblende.
Would like a better pic of the green thing up to the right?

9 & 10 Quartzite? Uncertain.

11 Hard to say.

Try using the macro function of your camera to get better pics (marked by a flower). :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BigDan

Thanks guys, I'll take some better pictures later on. The first picture, with the garnet on the left. I was thinking those were all rubies on the right. But we think they're garnets as well?

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

I am a die hard Rock Hound. Every chance I get I pick up..rocks. I examine them knowing the earth created them and did God. I love to touch and feel and think about the earth being formed etc.

Gemstones and Gems are mostly volcanic glass with color. Glass is 6.-7. on the MOH scale. Beryl which includes Emerald, Helidor, Aquamarine, are also 7. on the MOH's scale. Corundum which includes Ruby. Sapphire, with a multiple of colors is 9 oj the MOHs.

The thing to remember is 'end product'. Whatever stone who find can be highly polished as a cabochon or even faceted. But you cannot take coal and facet it into a diamond.

I think you are right on track with hunting in North Carolina...Franklin is the Gen Capitol of the World..so they say. A variety of stones can be found. However, remember in terms of cash value, all that glitters is not gold.

HH

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cappy Z. said:
I am a die hard Rock Hound. Every chance I get I pick up..rocks. I examine them knowing the earth created them and did God. I love to touch and feel and think about the earth being formed etc.

Gemstones and Gems are mostly volcanic glass with color. Glass is 6.-7. on the MOH scale. Beryl which includes Emerald, Helidor, Aquamarine, are also 7. on the MOH's scale. Corundum which includes Ruby. Sapphire, with a multiple of colors is 9 oj the MOHs.

The thing to remember is 'end product'. Whatever stone who find can be highly polished as a cabochon or even faceted. But you cannot take coal and facet it into a diamond.

I think you are right on track with hunting in North Carolina...Franklin is the Gen Capitol of the World..so they say. A variety of stones can be found. However, remember in terms of cash value, all that glitters is not gold.

HH

Wow Cappy, wait a minute will ya!

Obsidian (volcanic glass) is hardly a gem. It can make a nice cabbed stone but most varieties are in no way gemstones.
I can look up the exact definition of a gemstone (precious stone) if you like.
A gemmologist should know, happens to be my teacher is one. ;D

Glass is 6 Mohs, just as Opal and feldspar. (slight variances can occur)
A knife blade is around 5-6 Mohs. (most common kitchen knives are)
Quartz has 7 Mohs.
Beryl has 8
Corundum has 9

Regards,
Eu

Upvote 0

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
big dan second pic. could be moonstone, 4th and fifth could be adventurine, im no expert, just looking at my stones and comparing.

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

Some GEMSTONES hardness

Hardness Gem

Diamond

Sapphire, Ruby

Crysoberyl, Alexandrite, Cats eye
7.5 - 8

Beryl, Emerald, Aquamarine

Zircon
7 - 7.5

Tourmaline (Elbaite, Dravite)

Quartz (Amethyst, Citrine)
6.5 - 7.5

Garnet (Hessonite, Rhodolite, Spessartine)

My intent was not to be an expert in responding to the nice photos. It was meant to be encouraging to a fellow TNer. I am no way near an expert. Period. But like politics there is always room to debate. I am not trying to debate or win here..as a matter of fact EU you win! I really enjoy others opinions about rocks and gems. The more the merrier.

HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BigDan

Thanks again for all the help!

You are all helping to add to my knowledge. And you're doing something else, far more valuable as far as I'm concerned, and that is showing that in today's world people will and do still help each other out.

My guesses are going to be, based on some responses on here and some research on the net. And keep in mind these are guesses:

1st pic: a garnet and some rubies.
2nd and 3rd: I thought chalcedony as well, moonstone will work.
4th and 5th: I don't know...I'll post a better pic. Can't scratch it with a knife.
6th: little garnets
7th: thought quartzite as well
8th: Roze quartz, tiny bit of tourmaline, and four unidentified green things...one broken so it appears darker.
9th and 10th: I don't know but I'm really interested in this one. See that bit of pink in pic 9? That's coming from tiny cracks in the surface...and I think is a clue of what is underneath.
11th: Don't know but they're black with silver colored speckles which come off like glitter.

I've got a couple different kind of green I was saving for later. This weekend I'll post them with a couple cleaner pictures of some of these.

Thanks again! BigDan

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cappy I was just adding what we students learn at the university. :dontknow:
Every one seems to have slight variances... Heres the full list as we learn it:

Mohs scale:
1. Talk
2. Gypsum *and up is scratched with finger nail*
3. Calcite
4 Flourite *And up is scratched with knife*
5 Apatite (as hard as a knife, sometimes scratches a knife)
6 Feldspar
7 Quartz
8 Topaz
9 Corundum
10 Diamond

I'm just sharing info, as I've learnt it. In no way getting in a debate mate. ;D
I'm just talking 'common' minerals not every variety of them, that would be a pain in the rear!! :D :laughing7:

Eu

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

Now that we got the stone polished.....what have we done for our thread starter? Have we helped in ID all that we can? Just asking.... :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cappy Z. said:
Now that we got the stone polished.....what have we done for our thread starter? Have we helped in ID all that we can? Just asking.... :icon_thumleft:

I think We've IDed it as good as the pics allow us to?

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

EU, I found these in NC as well. Any idea? Pics aren't the best. Half dollar in size.

CZ

Attachments

• NCGems22.jpg
    NCGems22.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 366
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BigDan

I tried taking some new pictures...

I don't know if these will help.

BigDan

Attachments

• P1010460.jpg
    P1010460.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 388
  • P1010462.jpg
    P1010462.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 385
  • P1010463.jpg
    P1010463.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 385
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BigDan

Cappy, left one rose quartz?

I'm far, far from the guy that should answer...but just a guess.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread