Some questions about finding a cache (what detector to use)

jmh139

Oct 11, 2004
I've recently come across a story of someone in his youth that worked for a man that paid him in silver dollars. This person would work for the guy, and he would make him wait at the front of his house while he went off on a trail for 5 minutes or so and came back with his pay. The man got sick very suddenly and went to the hospital and died (this was in the late 50's or so). After he died, people searched his house, and found some silver dollars in the mattress, but as far as anyone knows, no one has looked elsewhere on the property. The fact that some were found in the house (again, I am pretty sure of this), most likely means he never had time to remove the rest before he died. Also, my this person never told anyone of how he got paid with the thoughts of going back some day.

The point of this story is what should I use to look for this cache? I won't be able to look until this summer, and in the mean time, I have picked up several books on the subject (cache hunting, treasure manual 6 and 7). I have a Whites Prizm II and a Garrett Ace 250 I use for coin shooting, but I want something that would give me the best chance of finding this cache. Something that would cover the most ground and still find something of the size of a quart jar of coins or something like that.

I've read several threads here about building your own, and have seen some plans, but am not sure I want to go that way. What would be best to use that could detect two foot or so deep and cover a larger area than my detectors? Any hints or specifics would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to spend some money if necessary.

And if I find anything I promise to post pictures :-)

Thanks
Jay

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Jay,

If you've already searched other threads, then you pretty much have your education there. It's been covered thoroughly on this site many times. My first recommendation would be to get a regular detector and purchase a large coil (ie...Minelab Explorer II and Coiltec's 15" coil or similar setup). If you aren't having any luck, ask some guys here on the forum if they have a two-box or large loop setup. If you plan to do cache hunting long-term, you can buy one yourself and learn the tricks. Your story is exciting and mirrors the typical miser. Most home banks that were visited frequently weren't very deep. Usually the length from the elbow to the hand for retreival. A mason jar was a favorite as were metal boxes. A regular detector should find it. Hope you find it :D

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
I would have to agree with Darren. If the guy was only gone a few minutes then he wouldn't have time to bury it very deep if it was buried at all. He could have found a nice hollow spot in a large tree to stach his cache. Most of the machines today with a 9" coil or bigger should be able to find something like that. Be sure you detect any large trees along what you think is the trail. If you decide to buy another machine I would recommend one with manual ground balance. It will make a lot of difference on the depth you get.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur with Darren and Alec. If he was only gone five minutes it sounds like a hidden? cache rather than a buried one. Check hollow trees, rotten logs, under rocks, check under rocks in a stream. Remember that the rock must have been moved and placed back in a short amount of time,check old buildings and? old farm equipment. Keep us posted and good luck

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also survey the area, see how long it would have taken him to get out of site. IF it was a very short walk, the direction he went , may have been a DECOY, & he may have slipped to the side , or even around to a building on either side of where they were standing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread