Some recent finds. 2X IH in one hole, old buckle, some old lead

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Hi everyone.
With the small amount of time I am spoedning detecting lately, I figured I'll just post what is from the last week or so hunting. Maybe 3 hrs total hunting at various spots smack dab in the middle of the city.

Finds are 2 IHs from the same hole under an old oak tree (my first multiple IHs!), several old lead balls and an old buckle from a wooded area that used to have early settlements. Every trip here has produced musketballs but so far no coinage. I think these early settlers were farm/barter folk. No need for money.

HH all!

Group shot w 1909 and 1906 IHs
weekof6-4finds.jpg
1909 IH (pretty clean)
1909IHobverse.jpg
Reverse (damn...no S mintmark!)
1909IHreverse.jpg
Buckle back showing 1871 date
1871buckle.jpg

Upvote 0

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Man, that 1909 has some great detail. Looks like it was minted, then dropped ASAP. Great finds. HH

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
cottonjim said:
Man, that 1909 has some great detail. Looks like it was minted, then dropped ASAP. Great finds. HH

I have been experimenting lately with using amonia and qtips to clean them (thanks Nate) and am finding out that you can go too far wayyyy too easy and remove the beautiful dark green patina completely. Both IHs here had a nice coating like that and now you can just barely make out some green splotches. Luckily for the 1909 the metal underneath the patina was still pretty smooth and stable. A lot of times if your remove the patina what's under it is porous and pitted.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Danimal said:
Hi everyone.
With the small amount of time I am spoedning detecting lately, I figured I'll just post what is from the last week or so hunting. Maybe 3 hrs total hunting at various spots smack dab in the middle of the city.

Finds are 2 IHs from the same hole under an old oak tree (my first multiple IHs!), several old lead balls and an old buckle from a wooded area that used to have early settlements. Every trip here has produced musketballs but so far no coinage. I think these early settlers were farm/barter folk. No need for money.

HH all!

Group shot w 1909 and 1906 IHs

1909 IH (pretty clean)

Reverse (damn...no S mintmark!)

Buckle back showing 1871 date

Great photos and digs.

Got to luv those big old trees 8)

Badger

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danimal said:
am finding out that you can go too far wayyyy too easy and remove the beautiful dark green patina completely.

That's exactly why when I cleaned yours the one time, I went REAL light and slow at first. Anyway those 2 look alright. The buckle is pretty neat, esp. with the date.

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
Nice Digs...On the IH's...I'm still looking for one this year.
The dated buckle looks great. Shouldn't be too hard to track it down..

ZoSo71

R

RUDY2003

Yeah, that IH detail is excellent!!!! Great diggin' musket ball and pistol ball and buckle. Great huntin' site...
Keep safe...

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D: Beautiful Indian heads. Like the buckle, too. Nice pics.

HH

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
RUDY2003 said:
Yeah, that IH detail is excellent!!!! Great diggin' musket ball and pistol ball and buckle. Great huntin' site...
Keep safe...

Like I said Rudy, this site is right smack dab in the middle of a city but is all but hidden in a wooded hollow. An old map showed me where the original 1830's homestead was with all the outbuildings. Aside from the musketballs (I think I have a dozen total from there) I found a horseshoe right where the map showed the blacksmiths shop to be. So far I have seen no signs of foundation stones or such. The city's historical society is in a huge old mansion right nearby in what was (then) the apple orchard for the homestead. The two families that lived there were the founding folk for that city. They lived an Amish-type lifestyle so like I said, I am not real confident of period coins being found. You never know though, as there could be a pocket drop from a hunter during the early 1900s (have found many old shotgun shells as well)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread