DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
001.JPG 006.JPG Walked around for a few hours yesterday evening,found a few things. Few shot bullets,hermonica reed,I think a broke cape pin chain,bullet widdled down to about nothing with a squared off hole going through it,"possibly used for a nipple protector',Some kind of small iron spoon?,a thin sheet brass crescent possibly has Eleventh Corps association but not sure,and my last find of the evening turned out to be a heartbreaker,I think it is a eagle cent punched for wear judging by the thickness of the coin,it would have made only my second one,but it is shot from the fertilizer,I guess that's the way she goes sometimes.Carved bullet 009.JPG Possible crescent Pin? 011.JPG Small iron spoon,is it a measuring spoon? 012.JPG 016.JPG and my toasted eagle cent:crybaby2: 015.JPG Thanks for looking!-HH

Last edited:
Upvote 7

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The measuring spoon looks like a powder flask closure or maybe not?????????????vanzutphen

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you're thinking heart breaker, I still would be totally thrilled, hole and toasted and all, still congrats on the finds

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you're thinking heart breaker, I still would be totally thrilled, hole and toasted and all, still congrats on the finds
Thanks looter,I was happy to find it and everything,kind of neat it is punched,but sometimes it is a little bit of a let down when hunting for a good while,and a coin finally turns up and it is completely gone.I am sure it was one of those eagle cents too because of its thickness,it was probably that 1856 I have been looking for:)

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The measuring spoon looks like a powder flask closure or maybe not?????????????vanzutphen
I know what you mean but I don't think that is what it is,seems like some kind of spoon?

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice group of finds! I hate to burst your bubble and I hope I'm wrong but I think your have a Fatty Indian. I think I see a headdress, in the picture the coin is turned upside down, I think the hole is just to the left of where the date would be.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bud still cool finds and at least shows you're in a good spot. We can't control condition. I've got a stack of coppers that I can't id about 4" tall lol

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well many call me a little crazy, but as I see it if a coin is toasty beyond recognition it can be anything you want it to be (if size and weight are correct) and that's pretty fun. And I love the rest of your finds as well. Never hunted a site with possible CW relics and would excited to do so even if I didn't find anything.

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some nice Civil War relics! Let us know if you find out anything about the crescent shape. And...

Nice group of finds! I hate to burst your bubble and I hope I'm wrong but I think your have a Fatty Indian. I think I see a headdress, in the picture the coin is turned upside down, I think the hole is just to the left of where the date would be.

I see it, too.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carved bullet looks like a nipple protector.

Great stuff!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm agreement with Buckleboy about the thing that looks like a spoon being a nipple protector. Nice hunt you had!

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone.Yeah I see it too now,didn;t even think to zoom in on my own pick to investigate.Well at least I know it couldn't have been that 56 now.Makes me feel a little better about it:).Thanks again-HH

Last edited:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those cents are apparently greatly affected by ground action DI2. A good hunt nevertheless and could have been a crescent moon.Good finds. HH, Q.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,It came out of a field that has been fertilized for many years,seems like sometimes they come up that way and sometimes not.Doesn't have hardly any affect on the silver,only problem is I haven't been finding any.I am thinking it might be a hat pin for the eleventh corps, crescent moon being their symbol and all,but I can't find any examples quite like it.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! The fertilizer on farms really cause Indian Head cents great pain too!

digndeep

Jul 28, 2014
cambridge,md
Detector(s) used
Xp ORX, whites v3, whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds,them toasty coins make the clean ones seem so much better..i like'em toasty
or not.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks,It came out of a field that has been fertilized for many years,seems like sometimes they come up that way and sometimes not.Doesn't have hardly any affect on the silver,only problem is I haven't been finding any.I am thinking it might be a hat pin for the eleventh corps, crescent moon being their symbol and all,but I can't find any examples quite like it.
Was the 11th Corps stationed where you are hunting? If so, it could be a soldier made artwork. We thought Dman's carved star (Dug 12-30) could be a 12th Corps core badge but they were in Chattanooga with Gen. George Thomas but no record of being in middle Tennessee. read the regimental history and see. Good luck DI2, Q.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread