✅ SOLVED Some sort of Navigation aid?

ortoch

May 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This device is approximately 2 feet tall with a cast iron base and stand. I havent seen it in person but a fellow treasure hunter in Ohio discovered this behind an abandoned warehouse. It says "Stansi Made in the USA" at the bottom signifying it was made by the Stansi Scientific Company which was bought out in 1967 by Fisher Scientific so its at least 50 years old. No additional markings on back just what you see in the photo. Dont want to sway anyone with any of my shots in the dark but if you know of this device or one like it please let me know if he might have found something unique!

18739724_10155409167484275_6887777353399307235_n.jpg

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it's definitely not a navigational device. I believe it is an educational teaching device of some kind. The Stansi Company used to be located in Chicago, Illinois.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

ortoch

May 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teaching device? could it be aviation related? I cant find much on the company other than what I wrote above and what you mentioned about it being in chicago back in its day. I would really love to know exactly what it is if anyone has any info on the company. They seem to have made quite a large selection of items over the years so finding something like it has been rather fruitless so far.

Upvote 0

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Stansi Company was more well know for making teaching devices. To me it looks geometry or mathematical related. Could also be Physics probability related too. Here's a link to another Stansi learning model. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/stansi-scientific-co-school-learning-77483193 If you can find a patent number on it anywhere that would help to identify exactly what it is. It should have one on it somewhere. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

ortoch

May 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked him to check it more thouroughly for markings or a patent number. The stand it's in makes me wonder what could be taught with it since it comes out so far it would block anyone on the sides from seeing it. I'm very perplexed by this.

Upvote 0

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it could be a part of a goniophotometer, but I'm not positive.

This would be a machine used in the aiding of creating photometric files for the lighting community.

These machines help determine the distribution of light out of a given light source, thus the reason for the 4 quadrants of each 90 degree angle.

Then a computer file of the light source is generated, and in conjunction with a lighting program illuminance levels can be calculated in a given space.

You would have to look into it more, but that's my guess.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
il_570xN.1245918251_tfq7.jpg

Laboratory teaching apparatus used to teach Snell's law, also known as the law of refraction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

ortoch

May 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCMatt you are my hero thank you very much good sir! Interesting reading on this device I never would have guessed it was to teach refraction.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions