Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha I just posted on your other thread about that river,,, looks to be cores that they knocked the outside off to see what the material looked like on the inside. Do they show signs of being hit??

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
TnMountains said:
haha I just posted on your other thread about that river,,, looks to be cores that they knocked the outside off to see what the material looked like on the inside. Do they show signs of being hit??
these were found in a total different place...alond {river}..the darker bigger one looks worked on both sides..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GroundS.KeepeR said:
TnMountains said:
these were found in a total different place...alond {river}..the darker bigger one looks worked on both sides..

These natural rocks are called spalls.They actually used them to knapp with also.The outside or the cortex I think is what its called is softer and would grab the chert when struck driving off flakes. The inside was also used when big enough to make tools. I have several round ones that were used in knapping and they have been recovered in woodland tool kits.
I think these were opened to see the material and may have been used some. If I am wrong some of these guys will chime in. They are pretty sharp. Nice finds many people ignore those type of items. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
TnMountains said:
GroundS.KeepeR said:
TnMountains said:

These natural rocks are called spalls.They actually used them to knapp with also.The outside or the cortex I think is what its called is softer and would grab the chert when struck driving off flakes. The inside was also used when big enough to make tools. I have several round ones that were used in knapping and they have been recovered in woodland tool kits.
I think these were opened to see the material and may have been used some. If I am wrong some of these guys will chime in. They are pretty sharp. Nice finds many people ignore those type of items. :thumbsup:
Ive learned alot from you with just little time! Im new at this ..But the funny thing if i see something that looks good/odd i keep it..thats just me..you just never know! heres my 1st arrow head i ever found

Attachments

• indian rocks 015.jpg
    indian rocks 015.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 216

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Thirty7, they were used in percussion flaking or reduction of stone mass or knapping. I always find it strange that it is possible to knap flint with flint. I actually found three flint hammerstones on Saturday that look VERY similar to these. I sometimes take them home and put them in my flowerbeds or rockgarden. I will never forget the time, about ten years ago when I first started out, that I found a lovely hammerstone made of purple, black, and pink Boyle chert. It was almost perfectly round. I thought at the time that it was a natural nodule. I took it home eager to try to make a point. I knocked it with a masonry hammer a few times into some sizable spalls. It was not until later that I realized i had destroyed one of the better flint hammerstones that I had ever found. Whoops.

Chuck

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
ohio said:
Thirty7, they were used in percussion flaking or reduction of stone mass or knapping. I always find it strange that it is possible to knap flint with flint. I actually found three flint hammerstones on Saturday that look VERY similar to these. I sometimes take them home and put them in my flowerbeds or rockgarden. I will never forget the time, about ten years ago when I first started out, that I found a lovely hammerstone made of purple, black, and pink Boyle chert. It was almost perfectly round. I thought at the time that it was a natural nodule. I took it home eager to try to make a point. I knocked it with a masonry hammer a few times into some sizable spalls. It was not until later that I realized i had destroyed one of the better flint hammerstones that I had ever found. Whoops.

Chuck

Oh hammerstones...I thought that's what you're talking about. I did the same once with a nice quartzite hammetstone. One big hit on a large cobble of chert and it broke off a third of the hammer, I learned a lesson after that mistake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread