Some sort of weapon?

megan

Jun 19, 2014
england
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I literally have no idea what this is, it's flat,silver metal shaped like a number 6 with 4 marks,really sharp point,thanks in advance for your help!: :) 20160503_160745.jpg 20160503_160759.jpg

Upvote 10
OP
OP
M

megan

Jun 19, 2014
england
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great,:)Thanks for your help again everyone :) mystery solved

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find megan!

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
found this info on web lookin at hallmarks, seems like i get stumped on these a lot, but heres what i found on 3 of the hallmarks, these were comments on them.........

The last hallmark (the criss cross pattern) is the import mark for sheffield

All imported items had to have a mark showing how much gold or in your case silver was in the product. Gold items had a rectangular shape with a number while silver items had a oval shape with a number. Theres obviously going to be more carrots in gold so there numbers would be 9.35 for example but in your case your item has .92 carrots (if silver has carrots that is), but you get my drift.

Now for the first hallmark I really had to do some research but this is what I found. In 1697, all the hallmarks for silver were changed (long story) Within this process a new cycle of date letters were started. Instead of the makers initials, they started to use the first two letters of his or her surname. Thats what the small A and R are above the W. Now im not 100% of what the W is. usually the letter represents the date the product was made , so if you think about it the last hallmark is telling you that your item was imported between 1904-06 which means it would have to be made before that so according to my book the W relates to the date 1889-90 but as I said im not 100% sure

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the jeweler's mark in place, I'd say it's some kind of pendant or glorified nose picker. Probably not an earring. No way to judge size.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha if I hadn't seen what it was I was going to say Ulu /gut knife.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I believe it is a Pewter Letter Opener or paper cutter. The proof is above. Nice find. Unusual for sure. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one of these as been here before . if memory serves letter opener made of silver or pewter

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen one just like it not to long ago on the what is it forum I cant remember if it was solved but it was within the last 2 months Cool find silver is always good Thanks for sharing your find hope you solve it!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread