FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Our Civil War spots are starting to run dry, so my buddy Craig and I decided to search the woods near our other site yesterday. We know that there were several large camps in the area, but they have been hard to locate. We found a small area that has a decent concentration of relics, but not nearly what we would expect to find in an untouched camp. Some of the stuff is REALLY deep though. For instance, the belt keeper was close to 10" deep and barely gave a signal on the AT Pro with the 8.5x11 coil. The ground is horrible on brass though for some reason. I found two cuff buttons and both of them crumbled when I took them out of the dirt. I'm definitely more than happy about our finds though. I managed to get four knapsack hooks, three dropped .69 round balls, one dropped 3-ringer, one dropped Enfield bullet, one carved 3-ringer, two toasted cuff buttons, some brass rivets, a belt keeper, some camp lead, a brass shield thingy, and an unidentified brass piece. I swear I've seen one of those brass pieces somewhere before, but I can't think of where. Any help on this one?? It's the last couple of pics. It was several hours of hard huntin to find this stuff! Craig got stung twice after disturbing a ground hornet nest. He also found some stuff, but not as much. His finds included an Eagle "I" button with a lot of gilt, a fired Williams Cleaner, and a really nice 6-point swage base 3-ringer. There were also a lot of square nails and modern trash found by both of us. We're going back tomorrow to hopefully find some more stuff. I think we really need to slow down and concentrate on the iffy signals. Anyway, thanks for looking and HH!

PF

Attachments

• tn1.jpg
    tn1.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 82
  • tn2.jpg
    tn2.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 59
  • tn3.jpg
    tn3.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 64
  • tn4.jpg
    tn4.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 58
  • tn5.jpg
    tn5.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 63
  • tn8.jpg
    tn8.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 61
  • tn7.jpg
    tn7.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 64
  • tn6.jpg
    tn6.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 13

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Hard to beat CW finds in my book. I would love to see a good picture of the carved bullet.
You are right about going slow and digging ever signal on ground like that. I've made some great finds doing that very thing when I just knew by the signal it would be junk. I've also dug plenty of junk. LoL

HH, RN

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just found my first 2 CW 3 ringers this week. How deep are your 3 ringers were you’re from? Both mine where 10”+. I have the CW fever I pray one day I have a day like you had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys! Truth1253, they ranged from maybe 2" up to 6" or 7". I went back and found a few more yesterday, and I think the deepest one was only a few inches.

I'll get a pic of the carved bullet later.

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a pic of what I found yesterday. I might make a separate post about them as well. A nice Williams Cleaner that's hollow inside, another 3-ringer, two round balls (one carved), and yet another knapsack piece.

Attachments

• 10242017-1.jpg
    10242017-1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 10242017-2.jpg
    10242017-2.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 49

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread