mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finished my 3rd box of nickels today. 1st box had a war nickel showing and that was about it. 2nd box had some variety in that it had 2 war nickels( a nice 43-P along with another average condition 43-P) along with a 36 buffalo that had some kind of rust or paint on it. My 1st that I was referring to was a 1948 Canadian nickel. This is the 1st pre-80 Canadian nickel i've ever pulled out of a machine roll and i've done a lot of nickel boxes. Unfortunately, one side is badly scratched but still made my day. Also found a 1972 Phillipines coin. 3rd box had a very dirty 43-D along with a 1928(barely legible)buffalo and a 2001 Panama coin.
Anyone notice an increase in the amount of foreign coins in rolls lately? Wonder if it is related to TD going over to Garda.
Thanks for reading and looking . MM2

Attachments

• DSCN4278.JPG
    DSCN4278.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN4280.JPG
    DSCN4280.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN4283.JPG
    DSCN4283.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN4284.JPG
    DSCN4284.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
You did very well on the nickels, In my area it is tough to average one War per box and one Buff in every three boxes searched. I don't really get that many foreign nics myself. The 43D is far and away the toughest War to find. Good Luck. Dennis.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
1948 has a very low mintage, only 1,8 million pieces were made that year. A great find indeed.
That 1972 Philippines coin looks silver, what is its composition?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that beaver is off the hook!

I am trying to get ahold of the canadian half with a wolf on it

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM2, a real nice batch, I am liking that war nickel, looks like AU shape... wish they were all that good.
Congrats on the older canadian nickel, those are real hard to come by, as I have yet to get a pre 1982 .999 nickel in a MWR or CWR.

with Garda, i've actually noticed a decline in the number of canadian coinage in my rolls, though the dimes have had quite a vareity from asian coins, russian coins, south american, and the islands. weird.

nice to hear from you, keep up the search!
HH
Buff

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
that beaver is off the hook!

I am trying to get ahold of the canadian half with a wolf on it

2011_Silver_Wolf.jpg
The one from the Wildlife Series? I got a few of them when they first came out when silver had just started to move into the twenties. It is a six series set of a Wolf, Grizzly, Cougar, and Moose so far, I don't know what the other two are. The wolf coin was modeled after a 1 dollar 1/2 oz silver coin that came out in 2006, the 1 oz wolf that came out in 2011 has 5 dollars on it. After the Pandas, they are my favorite silver coins that I collect. I always hope to some day score any of them CRHing as a large dollar coin at a bank. I think that the Canadian 1 dollar wolf is the same size as a half.

Nice mix of nickels from your boxes. I have been saving all of my Beavers but haven't found anything near that old. I have a Canadian penny book I'm working on, going to have to keep my eye out for a nickel book to pickup.

Last edited:

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I think he refers to 1967 Commemorative 80% silver half dollar. Here is the pic:

Attachments

• Half dollar 1967.JPG
    Half dollar 1967.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 216

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I think he refers to 1967 Commemorative 80% silver half dollar. Here is the pic:

Thanks, I don't think I have ever seen that coin before. Now I want one too, have to keep an eye out for it even if I have to buy it. We used to have Siberian Huskys, had a couple of litters and one male, Bear, who lived for 13 years. He had cool blue eyes, would sit outside and howl.

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find on that war nick, they're tough to find in that kind of condition. I've pulled maybe 3 AU+ wars out of the 300 or so boxes I've done.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
with Garda, i've actually noticed a decline in the number of canadian coinage in my rolls, though the dimes have had quite a vareity from asian coins, russian coins, south american, and the islands. weird.

nice to hear from you, keep up the search!
HH
Buff

Most Canadian coinage is magnetic, while some of the coinage from other countries isn't.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i knew that, thank you, most coin machines are sensitive enough to reject even a minor difference from a normal US dime... some reject silver US dimes, some reject canadian, bent US dimes, phillipine dimes, british coins, etc.
Most Canadian coinage is magnetic, while some of the coinage from other countries isn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread