Some Weekend Finds

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Here's a few specimens I found this weekend.

The first few are from the location in my previous post where the coal seam and ancient beach are located.

The first pic is a rather poorly preserved Lepidodendron tree bark section:

ol.site9.lepidodendron.jpg

It's significant to me because it's the first Lepidodendron specimen I've found in this region.

The second pic is what I believe may be a section of a Calamite trunk:

ol.site9.calamite.jpg

Both are plants from the Carboniferous and make sense considering the coal seam.

The next pics are from "site 10" in the same area.

The first is a first for me in this area -- a perfectly-formed gastropod with spire intact:

ol.site10.gastropod1.jpg

Next is the largest ammonite I've found in this region.

ol.site10.ammonite1.jpg

I'll be working a while to get these freed from their matrix. I'm also anxious to put these specimens into their geological context of the area (below or above the coal seam). So far, I'm pretty sure they are below the coal seam.

Last is a spectacular Echinoconchus semipunctatus specimen:

ol.site10.echinoconchus_semipunctatus.jpg

This baby is HUGE (83mm X 83mm) and according to the books as large as it gets.? The largest one I've found to date is a meer 65mm x 65mm.? I'm going to have to work a while to get this one out of the boulder it's stuck in.? It's also intact with complete (if fractured) brachial valve.

Richard

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Nice photos Richard
I think that last brach would be hard to perserve intact.
Your home must look like mine with a heck of a lot of rocks hanging around.

George

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Futzman! Thanks for sharing the pictures and you knowledge!!!

;)

OP
OP
futzman

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
futzman said:
Here's a few specimens I found this weekend.

The first few are from the location in my previous post where the coal seam and ancient beach are located.

The first pic is a rather poorly preserved Lepidodendron tree bark section (UPDATE: I've identified this as a Stigmaria (root) of either Lepidodendron or Sigillaria tree.):

ol.site9.lepidodendron.jpg

It's significant to me because it's the first Lepidodendron specimen I've found in this region.

The second pic is what I believe may be a section of a Calamite trunk (UPDATE: This is most probably a bark impression of the lower portion of a Sigillaria tree rather than Calamite.):

ol.site9.calamite.jpg

Both are plants from the Carboniferous and make sense considering the coal seam.

Richard

OP
OP
futzman

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
bakergeol said:
Nice photos Richard
I think that last brach would be hard to perserve intact.
Your home must look like mine with a heck of a lot of rocks hanging around.

George

I bought a full-size (15 lb) sledge hammer today. I'm going after that rock this weekend to see if I can break it up. If so, I can bring home a chunk with the brach in it and get the air-scribe after it.

I also spotted an ENORMOUS spiriferid on edge (posterior view) in another small boulder. Going after that one too this weekend. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

Richard

geolett

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2005
rhode island
No, I'm not drunk this early in the morning, let's try it again with the fingers on the right keys. amazing , I found the same fossils in the south of England, Lyme Regis. jolli

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread