fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a package in the mail today from my brother and it was crammed full of all manner of small items from flat buttons to suspender parts to a few buckles. It will take me a month to go through all of the stuff. Here are a few that I could use help with. I didn't know what the first one was until I edited the picture of the back and saw the reverse letting that read Dick Tracy on the badge with something else right under it. Then the word sergeant appeared in the chevron below the badge. Any idea on age?
The second one is a brass buckle(?) that came from my late brother. There are no markings on it. There are some small marks on the back but I think they are incidental damage from whatever this piece went on. My brother thought it might be a cross belt buckle?
I'll post some more next chance I get. Thanks for any and all help.

Attachments

• Dick Tracy badge 1.jpg
    Dick Tracy badge 1.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Dick Tracy badge 2.jpg
    Dick Tracy badge 2.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 67
  • brass buckle 1.jpg
    brass buckle 1.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 61
  • brass buckle 3.jpg
    brass buckle 3.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 63

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The second object is a Morseman's Patent buckle-shield (a.k.a. buckle-cover). Instead of re-typing all the info and re-posting the photos, let me ask you to please view my post on the Morseman buckle-shield about a week ago, here in the What Is It? forum at the following link:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/569967-buckle.html#post5717452

Ones made before Morseman's patent expired (which happens 17 years after the patent was issued) are marked "Patent Dec. 16, 1879." If yours lacks the patent marking, it was made after the 1896 expiration of the patent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap buckle protector.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick and accurate identification. For some reason, my late brother thought this was something significant. He passed many years before the internet but he would have been posting some awesome finds if he had lived.
I am pretty sure that the Dick Tracy badge dates to the 1930s so I am marking this one solved.

Upvote 0

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found your Dick Tracy badge in Tomarts Guide to Radio Premiums. Date is 1938. It is described as D278 Sergeant Badge.

D.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread