Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These guys were working on a cell tower today

K1600_IMG_3313-01.JPG K1600_IMG_3322.JPG K1600_IMG_3320.JPG K1600_IMG_3319.JPG K1600_IMG_3317.JPG

I see this guy around a lot. Apparently there aren't a lot of people doing this locally.

K1600_IMG_3372.JPG K1600_IMG_3386.JPG K1600_IMG_3359.JPG K1600_IMG_3331.JPG K1600_IMG_3328.JPG K1600_IMG_3324.JPG

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked a couple summers for a crop duster neighbor as a flagger in the field. He put booms and a belly tank on a Piper Super cub when he got started and later bought a plane called a Grumman Ag Cat. Years later he built up a business of twin engine aircraft flying cancelled checks along with other charter and air freight services. Some time ago when the UPS workers went on strike he took on some extra business flying freight during the strike. He was flying to Tennessee one trip with fright and crashed into the side of a mountain. He had many many hours of flying and it was hard for everyone to figure out at first what happened with all his experience, but the investigation of the wreck concluded he simply ran out of fuel.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked a couple summers for a crop duster neighbor as a flagger in the field. He put booms and a belly tank on a Piper Super cub when he got started and later bought a plane called a Grumman Ag Cat. Years later he built up a business of twin engine aircraft flying cancelled checks along with other charter and air freight services. Some time ago when the UPS workers went on strike he took on some extra business flying freight during the strike. He was flying to Tennessee one trip with fright and crashed into the side of a mountain. He had many many hours of flying and it was hard for everyone to figure out at first what happened with all his experience, but the investigation of the wreck concluded he simply ran out of fuel.

Sorry for the loss of your acquaintance. This guy is amazing to watch. He flies in some very dangerous spots with lots of transmission towers and electrical lines around. Many years ago I was traveling down I-40 in Oklahoma and all at once this bi-plane came seemingly out of the ground and barely cleared the traffic on the highway, flew down on the other side of the interstate and dusted both sides over and over. That old plane was a sight to see!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Those guys on that tower, I suppose some body has to do it, but it sure as heck aint gonna be me. Hope they tell their wives and kids they love them every morning when they leave for work.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there ain't enough money to get me on those towers

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
No different than skydiving or being on the roof of a burning house in the icy wintertime when the roof is about 45° steep steel!! ...Oh, and it was nighttime to boot! :tongue3:

Scaling the side of a mountain, para-gliding, hot air ballooning. What gets me is the guys working on the tops of skyscrapers, where the winds are 60MPH on a CALM day, and often reach wind speeds of 100-120MPH!! Sorry...any hurricane force winds that I encounter will strictly be at ground level! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in the bottom of a 32' deep ditch finishing up some sewer piping at a remodel in Guthrie, Oklahoma in '93. I could feel eyes on me and looked up to see an ironworker watching me. He said " Doesn't that bother you?". I laughed and asked if it bothered him walking the beams in the air. We each told the other their job was safe, and would never do it. It is funny sometimes how different we are.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a similar conversation while in USAF. Was talking with Security Police. They commented about how they couldn't get through their minds going into a burning building - like, how could you ever know it's safe? Then I explained how I have the safe question of people - how can you know they're safe? :laughing9:

I don't mind heights, but not very comfortable out on a boat. ...Yet I used to love to fish! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an easy job in the Air Force---ground radio maintenance. It was the only time I ever had a gun pointed at me though. We tried crossing the flight line during an exercise at Kunsan AB��

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Couldn't have been easier than Fire Protection Spec.!! The ONLY fires we had were training fires. Security Police got to every real-world fire before us and used their extinguisher! :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread