Somebody want to Hunt this Site in Arkansas?

Clifford Powell

Nov 13, 2005
New Mexico
This message may not belong on this portion of the forum but I don't know where else to put it.

We just returned from a round trip from New Mexico to Virginia. On the way back we hit a lot of geocaches and, as sometimes happens, we discovered some interesting metal detecting sites.

This site has very old hand laid rock wall and a couple of patches of iris flowers. Lots of wild roses here also. This sort of tells me that there was a home here long ago. Maybe even an old cellar. Sure wish I could have taken the time to hunt this place but we we're late getting back as it was. Rats!

What makes this site interesting is it's location. It's in the woods BETWEEN the east bound on ramp and I40. Must be several heavy wooded acres in size. We had to park at the top of the on ramp and walk 300 yards to the site. I think the property must be part of the interstate so I don't think permission to hunt is required. There is also a good chance that it has not been hunted (due to it's strange location) but I can't be sure of that.

If someone hunts this site I sure would like to hear how they did.

It's near the small town of Ozark in the western part of the state.

The GPS numbers are:
N 35° 30.774 W 093° 49.125

Good Luck
Cliff

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
CP,

not out that way, but thanks for posting. ;D

Sure someone will be able to use the info.

have a good un............

Treasuredawg

Mar 19, 2006
Northern Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exployer II, Xterra 30
Clifford, thanks for the post. I live in North Central Arkansas, a pretty good ways from Ozark but if I go that way I will be sure to stop. Sounds like an interesting spot.

Treasuredawg

PRush

Greenie
Dec 20, 2006
Arkansas
I was hoping someone might have comments on these pictures we took in Arkansas. I thought they were spanish but have been told this week they are from an earlier time. Thanks
rocks  turtles.JPG

PRush

Greenie
Dec 20, 2006
Arkansas
Cliff
I live about 20 miles from there and will go check it out on Monday. Dying to try out a new metal detector anyway.
P Rush

S

Smee

PRush said:
I was hoping someone might have comments on these pictures we took in Arkansas. I thought they were spanish but have been told this week they are from an earlier time. Thanks

Might want to post them pics in treasure signs . . . look like turtles to me. Someone there will surely help.

Cactus_Cache

May 6, 2007
The Spaniards used to use turtles to indicate treasure buried. Many times, they would use very large rocks and landmarks so that people could not move them easily. I would start deep searching that area (with permission of course).

Do you have larger photos? I'd like to see more details.

PRush said:

Cactus_Cache

May 6, 2007
PRush said:

I have a couple of comments to make about your magnificent find up in Arkansas. The photos you shared appear to be "turtles". J. Frank Dobie's book, Coronado's Children - Tales of Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of the Southwest, ISBN:0-292-71052-6 (paper), Copyright 1930, 1958, 1978 by University of Texas Press, discusses and describes the significance of turtles in Chapter XIX, Shadows and Symbols. An excerpt from the book:

"Turtle, or dry land terrapin, with head pointing towards treasure. The turtle also means death, defeat, destruction, and the burial of possessions somewhere in the vicinity." (Page 300)

If you find two turtles pointing towards each other, then the treasure or other collectible(s) should be found probably in the center of the two objects. Also, look for other markings on rock or wood. These two photos appears to be of Spaniard origin because the Spaniards used "turtles" sometimes to indicate precense of buried treasure nearby. Perhaps it might not be, but I would not count this out.

If you have not read the book, it is well worth reading. If you don't find a copy in your area, you can probably find it at:

http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/subjects/tex.html

(Printed on the back of the text)

Happy hunting!

Cactus_Cache :)

PRush

Greenie
Dec 20, 2006
Arkansas
Probably one of the best unknown treasure stories in the south.

Thanks a ton. Yes thats pretty interesting. I know there is something in this area. A little old hermit that lived in that area found what he described as a "huge cache" back in the 50s. There were several murders that took place within a tiny community of the treasure he claimed to have found. I wrote a book on it that was just published and released, its titled "The River". I have done investigative research on it for quite some time. I have some of the court records and even from the accounts of people not related to him, they believe he did find something big. I do believe it after doing all the research. When I started this story, I was just trying to find out more about the story of De Soto's travels through this area. There are mines in the area known as the Lost Spanish Mine AKA Tobe Hill Mine AKA Lost Louisiana Mines. Dr Tobb Hill spent his last years exploring the old Spanish mine. The reason he spent his last dollar and many many years there were because of petroglyph's on the bluffs along the river, however I have found matching ones scattered across several miles there. (All in a direct line). It's told that the little man wouldn't bring out more than a handful of gold at one time as he felt it was cursed and didn't want to bring ill fate to anyone around him. It is not a well known story outside this little community but its certainly on the is strongly believed within the area for many reasons that I won't go into on this board.

Attachments

• frontcover.jpg
    frontcover.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 849

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread