Someone called cops and>>>

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My buddy and i had to leave that area.We were detecting a school that we did a few weeks ago and had np.I guess some old craby lady called the cops on us,that was at the time in the school. Oh well,we went to another place ,but a park and found some clad.My buddy found a nice silver ring too.
Was my first time ever having someone (craby old lady) call cops on me detecting.They should love me there,cause i even keep the crap and throw it away for them where it belongs!!! Geez I felt like the bad guy!!!

ps. yesturday i was pretty happy to find a Large penny from Britain. end of story! :)

HH

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking the proper steps to gain permission is sometimes better. :icon_thumleft: Depending on your state laws you need to see if public schools are OK to hunt or not. :dontknow: Any private schools you will need permission. :tongue3: A letter to the man in charge or a visit after school asking permission is always a good idea. :hello2: Even if it is a public school or park and your allowed there. :icon_scratch: Permission is always best in my opinion because.... It clears you ahead of time you don't have to worry as you hunt and you can tell anyone who asks you have permission. :headbang: So... Its always good to gain permission. :icon_thumleft:

Congratulations on the ring !! :o
Better luck next time with the school !! :hello:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Gshock

May 25, 2010
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it happens, sux having to explain yourself to the cops but they are usually cool about it if you have permission

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe mentioning your removal of sharp metal objects would go down well with principal, perhaps take a few examples - rusty knife blade - nails - can slaw and hypo needle - might show some of the nasties you can remove for free.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your not working hard enough unless you have had the cops called on you! I think they have been called on me at least three times. First time was jerks with these condos downtown that freaked everytime they saw a car on their lonely block in the ghetto. The other time it was typical - "hey what are you doing" at the local schools - unfortunately when they are called you have to leave.

and those jerks at the condo did me a favor b/c where I was hunting was dangerous!

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
I never hunt without permission. Usually it just takes a little research to find out who to contact. I contacted, and got the OK, from the principal at a grade school I recently hunted. He was fine as long as school was not in session. I also find out who is on the board for townships and cities for parks and old school sites. I'd say I get the OK about 75% of the time. Also, use your own contacts to assist you. My sister and her husband live near a small town, and know a ton of people. I go through them sometimes. For instance, I was trying to get permission to hunt a former county seat site, and I asked my brother in law if he knew any county commissioners. He said..."heck yes, I eat lunch with one several times a week". Voila....I got permission (unfortunately the site yielded nothing of value). My point is, use any angle or info you have to find out who to talk to.

Also, I never ask anyone involved with maintaining the grounds. I think they might think you will make more work for them. I was asked not to hunt a village park once by a groundskeeper. I later asked the township assessor if I could hunt township sites. He was fine with it. So, if I get questioned, I have a name to respond with.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Taking the proper steps to gain permission is sometimes better. :icon_thumleft: Depending on your state laws you need to see if public schools are OK to hunt or not. :dontknow: Any private schools you will need permission. :tongue3: A letter to the man in charge or a visit after school asking permission is always a good idea. :hello2: Even if it is a public school or park and your allowed there. :icon_scratch: Permission is always best in my opinion because.... It clears you ahead of time you don't have to worry as you hunt and you can tell anyone who asks you have permission. :headbang: So... Its always good to gain permission. :icon_thumleft:

Congratulations on the ring !! :o
Better luck next time with the school !! :hello:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Wait a minute!!!! :idea1:

I just want to make sure I get this right..... :dontknow:

Do you think its a good idea to get PERMISSION :evil5: or NOT?? :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a bummer. With so many weirdos out there stalking kids, people are very Leary about any activity around the schools. If you were detecting during the week, I can understand the harassment. The schools I have gotten permission to hunt are very strict about any one being on the grounds during the school days. For good reason. I would talk with the Principal and get your permission in writing , so when the officer comes back, you will have no problems detecting.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nuggy said:
Maybe mentioning your removal of sharp metal objects would go down well with principal, perhaps take a few examples - rusty knife blade - nails - can slaw and hypo needle - might show some of the nasties you can remove for free.
That is a fantastic idea!

tlf67

Dec 18, 2010
West Virginia
I've had a problem with people not wanting to make a decision on permission because they don't want to be held responsible for something. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions