Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I was working an area about 60 yards from an old cellar hole and came upon a small elevation overlooking a swamp. I thought to myself what a perfect place to sit and hunt. Then I found this. Octagonal barrel flintlock (note the touch hole on the side). I wonder whether the shooter was injured. My guess is mid-1800s? Any information is welcome. I can't locate any marks on the barrel. Would you folks suggest a vinegar bath or naval jelly?
HH
dts IMG_3027.JPG

Upvote 28
OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the compliments as well as for all the laughs. Is there a connection between MDing and doing stupid (and dangerous) stuff as kids? I see a common thread here. Like when my older brother and I did NOT drop a 6" salute into a big Pepsi bottle and have the ensuing expolsion bury glass shards in the side of our house, right where we were standing!
HH
dts

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
We were "a handful" according to my parents. We used a laundry basket filled with heavy stuff as a counterweight to lock a babysitter in the bathroom one time while our parents all went christmas shopping. Tied it to the door knob and hung it over the stairs, then went about our business for 3 hours. Apparently she was quite traumatized from that and never talked to the family again.:dontknow:

man ya'll were bad

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Kudos to you for knowing what this is! I would have filed it as iron junk. How did you know?

As soon as I dug it up, I noticed the octagonal shape and the tang on the end. I guess having owned a flintlock helped me recognize it. I have to think the shooter was hurt as the barrel burst probably not more than 18" from his face. I was surprised that I couldn't find any other pieces of the barrel or other metal from the weapon. I'm going back to search again...OR this accident happened somewhere else and the place where I found it is just where he happened to throw it away. I'll post any developments.
HH
dts

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was beginning to think we were the only ones dumb enough to whack .22 rounds with a hammer when we were younger, but this thread says otherwise - I am in good company... :hello2:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, relic nut and dirt looter. Think I'll try electrolisis. I also got my first flintlock (Thompson Center Arms 50 cal Hawken) in 1972. Certainly a challenge to hunt with that thing due to the long delay between the flint igniting the powder in the pan and the main charge going off. Scared the heck out of a number of deer! Never did get one with that thing. Everyone thought I was nuts... they were right!
HH
dts

Guess you have to 'lead' the Deer? Or ,&, Have a good guess on witch way it's going to Bolt.

Cool Find indeed.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You aren't kidding bad day.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
And people thought I was nuts for hang gliding.

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post is being clouded by our questionable supervision. This piece is beyond cool and it should be up on that Banner.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest: