Someone Tell Me

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. All you Teknetics pros, I have a question. I just bought a G2 (I think). At least that is what the faceplate says. It is on a Fisher rod, has an 11" elliptical coil. But when it powers up the screen says Gold Bug. I know the G2 & Gold Bug Pro are basically the same, and this machine has manual ground balance adjust. My question is does the G2 say Gold Bug when it comes on?

Woof!, please feel free to give me some instruction.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think some of the earlier one do say Gold Bug on the screen.
I had the G2 but the rod is the pistol grip style, silver in color..you say Fisher rod is it gold colored S rod, or pistol grip ?
My G2 did not say Gold bug when fired up it was a #4 soft ware version .
Hope Dave J. shows up he`ll know !
Gary

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gary, it is the gold colored S rod. No pistol grip. I think this is a 2.9 software version. So far I am really impressed. Just haven't been able to really put it through severe testing, yet. Hopefully going to AZ for nugget shooting soon. Then we'll see!

Anthony

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The G2/Gold Bugs are very hot machines at 19Khz they pick up the smallest of targets...when i got the G2 i had to get a pin pointer to find the small targets,,,and great in the old cellar holes in the iron.
Gary

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't heard from Dave, yet. Hope he lets me know. He is definitely the one who can tell me. BTW - his book on detecting gold with vlf machine is great. Everyone who wants to go nugget shooting should study that first.

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you don't know what you bought, you didn't buy from an authorized dealer. Since neither you nor an authorized dealer can say what you bought, I have no way of knowing either.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/teknetics/393066-counterfeit-metal-detectors.html

--Dave J.

Yes, I bought a used machine. I was simply wondering if the older G2s said Gold Bug as they powered up. But, that's OK. not a problem really, just curiosity. Thanks, anyway. And thanks for the knowledge shared in your book.

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you don't know what you bought, you didn't buy from an authorized dealer. Since neither you nor an authorized dealer can say what you bought, I have no way of knowing either.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/teknetics/393066-counterfeit-metal-detectors.html

--Dave J.

BTW - being an authorized dealer (albeit for one of your competitors), I appreciate the emphasis on buying from us. That being said, many people want to or of necessity buy used machines from individuals as I did in this case. Someone needed the money and I was willing to take the chance. I just thought you of all people could tell me if the older G2s said "Gold Bug" on their screens during power up.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The earliest G2's flashed "Gold Bug" on the screen when first turned on, and of course had the pistol type grip (not a Fisher rod). The GB has been counterfeited; wouldn't surprise me if the G2 also has been. It's also possible that what you have was cobbed together by someone from genuine factory Fisher and Teknetics pieces. Heck, it's even possible that the pieces in question went through the factory door without benefit of shipment documentation, if you catch my drift.

Sorry, I don't have any way of knowing what you got when you took the unit in on trade. Probably wouldn't know even if I had it in my hands looking at it.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, Dave. I really wasn't trying to get a definitive answer on whether or not it is counterfeit. I will let the techs determine that when I send it in for check and tune-up. Probably be after a trip to AZ, though. Not being a Teknetics dealer (yet) or owner (until now), was curious about the screen display. And yes, I do catch your drift. Going out the door without documentation is something we all pay for in higher prices. Unfortunately in our society, it is sometimes the cost of doing business. Not the way I was raised, though.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Haven't heard from Dave, yet. Hope he lets me know. He is definitely the one who can tell me. BTW - his book on detecting gold with vlf machine is great. Everyone who wants to go nugget shooting should study that first.
… Yes i got Dave's book it really has good information good reading..

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update Dave - I now carry both Fisher and Teknetics lines.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions