Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couldn't buy a coin, but the buttons kept me busy. What is the big thing with the hearts on the ends? Some kind of hair clip? It's got a dull shine and it's heavy. I like it whatever it is.

Attachments

• image-3721940425.jpg
    image-3721940425.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 196
  • image-4070022003.jpg
    image-4070022003.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 179
  • image-1695498716.jpg
    image-1695498716.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 7

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice design on the dandy button. I think that's a shoe buckle and its a very unique one if so.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good spot. I agree with Greylock - looks like a large shoe buckle frame. A pic of the other side would confirm that.

OP
OP
Dirtwisher

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the back. There's evidence of something attached to the outside.

Attachments

• image-2014579204.jpg
    image-2014579204.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 137
  • image-71124845.jpg
    image-71124845.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 120

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
That is for sure a shoe buckle, that is the rusted dot is the hole where the pin went through, and is a "for sure" give away it's a shoe buckle. Most likely that is a piece of the pin in there. It's a very ornate one too.

Here is an example of the pin-hole in a broken shoe buckle. Notice how it is also rusted in that area, probably part of the iron pin.
IMG_20141107_164936.jpg
Another (really bad) photo of the pin-hole in a colonial shoe buckle.
coineeeee.jpg
Coinman123,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirtwisher

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome - I'm pumped that's what it is. Sounded like a manhole cover; I almost didn't dig it. You guys are great with the info on the stuff I pull out. After I post a question I basically check my phone every minute to see what the answer is!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very unique shoe buckle buddy. Shoe buckles are one of my favorite finds and I've been lucky to find a pile of em this first year. That's a nice site for sure.
Oh yeah you say you can't buy a coin huh? I have some wheat pennies I will sell ya bud?

OP
OP
Dirtwisher

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very unique shoe buckle buddy. Shoe buckles are one of my favorite finds and I've been lucky to find a pile of em this first year. That's a nice site for sure.
Oh yeah you say you can't buy a coin huh? I have some wheat pennies I will sell ya bud?
Sure, Abe, I'll give you a buck or two for any 1909 S VDB's you got! This place was weird, tons of iron everywhere near the depression in the lawn where the house sat, so I cruised over to a pretty good sized tree and started getting 95's on the Deus all over the place. Literally every foot or two was a button. Except the dandy they're all pretty lame, nothing on them at all. Maybe there was a clothes line there? I don't know any other way to describe the qty of buttons. I only had an hour so I'm sure there are lot there. It was COLD though.

OP
OP
Dirtwisher

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other thing was that these babies were DEEP. Going down 8" for a late 1800's (I'm assuming) button makes me wonder how far down the good stuff is. May have to resort to commando mode - all metal!

doitdaily

Nov 13, 2014
Pasadena Ca.
Detector(s) used
Explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
those are really cool buttons found a couple military buttons today with my cheepy harbor freight special--- waiting patiently for my minelab se pro to show up on thursday.... But I got the bug like you guys.... First time posting... Hi peoples!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
those are really cool buttons found a couple military buttons today with my cheepy harbor freight special--- waiting patiently for my minelab se pro to show up on thursday.... But I got the bug like you guys.... First time posting... Hi peoples!

Howdy, and welcome to Treasure Net. Where abouts are you from, and what type of hunting do you enjoy the most?

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love your shoe buckle. That's a beauty! Hope you find tons more at that site.

OP
OP
Dirtwisher

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to t-net. You now have an entirely new way to waste untold hours of your life, just as I do every day! This forum is awesome. Wait til you see what gets posted on here. Your jaw will drop!

doitdaily

Nov 13, 2014
Pasadena Ca.
Detector(s) used
Explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HA HA HA... I spend hours deep sea fishing too... But I spend most my time around the Rose Bowl

doitdaily

Nov 13, 2014
Pasadena Ca.
Detector(s) used
Explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mostly diggin up bottle caps but have found a cool 1940s sterling silver USN enlisted man ring... In my back yard

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other thing was that these babies were DEEP. Going down 8" for a late 1800's (I'm assuming) button makes me wonder how far down the good stuff is. May have to resort to commando mode - all metal!
Well I can tell you that the shoe buckle is late 1700s so you're in the right spot. I would stick myself in that iron and start digging every little chirp you hear. And I would def all metal mode the rest of the area.
Oh yeah you can wire that money into my account and I'll send those 8- svdb's right out lol

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with the others Jeff, and believe that's definitely a Georgian era shoe buckle (mid-to-late 1700s) which is from the same general period as your dandy button. Nice hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread