mrmastadon

Jul 1, 2020
NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings all,

I downloaded the 3.0 update a few weeks ago and have generally had the same experience with it as others on these boards: in 4kHz it cuts down the EMI significantly on most sites and does seem to be useful for getting a clearer read on otherwise iffy signals. I have also found that VDI stability seems to be enhanced in the new single frequency mode. And yes, it definitely up-averages everything.

That said, I have noticed something peculiar which I have not seen mentioned elsewhere: the update seems to have made VDI less stable on modern clad in multi-frequency. Zincolns that were once an easily-identifiable 19-21 are now 18-24. Copper pennies that used to consistently read 23-26 now bounce all around from 22 on the low end to 30 on the high. Dimes used to be a tight 24-26 on my machine; they are now 23-29. And quarters that were *always* 29-31 I have now measured from 27-32. Interestingly, nickels appear to be unaffected and are still 12-13. All of this is especially perplexing given that the 4kHz frequency isn't even active in multi, so in theory multi should behave exactly as it did prior to the update.

The tones remain the same and in general, these are all still good, diggable VDIs, so it hasn't changed my hunting style significantly. But it's a tad annoying, as it makes targets harder to call and and forces me to pay extra attention in some cases to differentiate from the bouncy VDIs emitted by falsing iron.

I'm curious if anyone else has had similar experiences or if my machine and I are the only ones inhabiting this particular twilight zone. Thanks and happy hunting!

GameOfTones

May 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the update as soon as it hit. I have hunted multiple times with the update and I have not had a difference in VDI numbers that I have noticed on common targets like Lincolns and clad.
In fact, last weekend I hit a yard with my partners where I found 6 older clad quarters scattered throughout the yard. Every one of them hit a solid 29 as they always had.
The only difference that I think I have noticed is the pin pointing.
Before the update, if I flipped a plug and ran the coil over it, it would not find the target again probably 3 out of 5 times. I have noticed that that has improved with the update. I find it odd that the update has anything to do with that, but it's doing it.
Of course everyone's hunting grounds are different. I'm in north TX.

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My experience is that your post-update VDIs are what my machine has read all along. I could never figure out why Minelab would saddle this otherwise great machine with substandard VDI.

jasonboise85

Mar 22, 2016
middlebury vt
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am experiencing the same thing with my equinox after the 3.0 update.
Are you running 5 or 50 tones? I wonder if that makes a difference or not? I haven't had time to try yet.
I am happy with the update, but just need to re learn some things I guess .
Good luck đź‘Ť

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I’m having a more difficult time guessing what’s in the ground because the vdi’s have changed a bit with 3.0. Overall I’m somewhat happy with the update, 4 kHz has helped in locating deep targets but I have considered going back to the 2nd update, we’ll see

OP
OP
M

mrmastadon

Jul 1, 2020
NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am experiencing the same thing with my equinox after the 3.0 update.
Are you running 5 or 50 tones? I wonder if that makes a difference or not? I haven't had time to try yet.
I am happy with the update, but just need to re learn some things I guess .
Good luck ��

I'm running 5 tones - 50 might very well help with better IDing of targets, my brain just isn't sophisticated enough to sift through all the extra tonal nuance!

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Just guessing here. If the Detector is more sensitive because of the update it might be picking up more minerals given off certain coins from oxidation and and that could be be the swing on certain coins especially those that deteriorate like pennies. I’ve notices that nickeled are still hitting on 13 and quarter are hitting on 29.
So I’m guessing we will have to put up with it is more sensitive.
I have noticed that my pinpointing is much better and my plugs are smaller.
Remember , my thought. If you are running the sensivity to high I believe the signal can splatter and be affected by minerals in the soil. But that’s just my opinion. Most of the time I run mine at around 15-16. And when in certain areas I’ll increase it to 24-25
Doug

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has the same VDI's with 3.11 as it has all along. Just more stable and less chatty in any particular mode or sensitivity setting. Been too hot to hunt inland lately, so, I've been a beach bum only and have not had a chance to use the single 4khz yet.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m always guessing with the VDI. The worst offender is the degraded zinc penny. It can read from 15-35. Depending on how much halo is around it or how much coin has eroded. I’ve had 2 silver dimes read low 20’s. They were thin. I’m always guessing on the clad dime and the copper penny.

The 4KHZ hasn’t changed much but I have found targets deeper with it than multi and in areas I’ve pounded. A pocket watch being the largest of the finds.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15-35 on a zinc? I've never had one read higher than 22 and those are extremely rare. On the low end, I've had them read down to 5 when they've been in the salt water for years, in fact, I just pulled one yesterday from a salt water bay that read 5. It's still encased in corrosion and will probably disintegrate when I tumble it.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
15-35 on a zinc? I've never had one read higher than 22 and those are extremely rare. On the low end, I've had them read down to 5 when they've been in the salt water for years, in fact, I just pulled one yesterday from a salt water bay that read 5. It's still encased in corrosion and will probably disintegrate when I tumble it.

"15-35 on a zinc? I've never had one read higher than 22"

Me neither.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the new update I’ve been fooled twice so far, mid 30’s vdi thought I was digging silver and out popped badly corroded zinc pennies. Rechecked the holes and nothing. Granted the signal jumped around unlike silver which is very stable

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I came along to this post. I noticed everything you have said and more. I had to slow down my coil speed, and turn the sensitivity down for proper vdi. I did notice my pin point was bottom of coil more likely than not. I was amazed the signal does not disappear after two swings over it, as I have noticed that in the past. I noticed small bits of foil is not setting coil off, and only pea sized targets are being found. Hope this helps.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Wondering if the corrosion is saturated into the surrounding area and in some cases causing the TDI to splatter and causing the TDI to very.
My nickles,dimes and quarters seem to be the same and even more stable.
Doug

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings all,

I downloaded the 3.0 update a few weeks ago and have generally had the same experience with it as others on these boards: in 4kHz it cuts down the EMI significantly on most sites and does seem to be useful for getting a clearer read on otherwise iffy signals. I have also found that VDI stability seems to be enhanced in the new single frequency mode. And yes, it definitely up-averages everything.

That said, I have noticed something peculiar which I have not seen mentioned elsewhere: the update seems to have made VDI less stable on modern clad in multi-frequency. Zincolns that were once an easily-identifiable 19-21 are now 18-24. Copper pennies that used to consistently read 23-26 now bounce all around from 22 on the low end to 30 on the high. Dimes used to be a tight 24-26 on my machine; they are now 23-29. And quarters that were *always* 29-31 I have now measured from 27-32. Interestingly, nickels appear to be unaffected and are still 12-13. All of this is especially perplexing given that the 4kHz frequency isn't even active in multi, so in theory multi should behave exactly as it did prior to the update.

The tones remain the same and in general, these are all still good, diggable VDIs, so it hasn't changed my hunting style significantly. But it's a tad annoying, as it makes targets harder to call and and forces me to pay extra attention in some cases to differentiate from the bouncy VDIs emitted by falsing iron.

I'm curious if anyone else has had similar experiences or if my machine and I are the only ones inhabiting this particular twilight zone. Thanks and happy hunting!

I experienced the same issues you mention. It was annoying enough for me to go all the way back to 1.75
When I do have time to metal detect I sure don't want to be annoyed, and the newest update is annoying enough that it makes it not fun for me. It's hard enough here in the gestapo anti-metal detector state of North Carolina to even find a place and the 1.75 version I'm confident in using. I'm hoping the next update will be agreeable to me and my set ways and I will be more than willing to try the next one.
Happy Hunting

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m always guessing with the VDI. The worst offender is the degraded zinc penny. It can read from 15-35. Depending on how much halo is around it or how much coin has eroded. I’ve had 2 silver dimes read low 20’s. They were thin. I’m always guessing on the clad dime and the copper penny.

The 4KHZ hasn’t changed much but I have found targets deeper with it than multi and in areas I’ve pounded. A pocket watch being the largest of the finds.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the dirt. Here in NC there is a lot of glittery red dirt. The soil in all the places I've hunted seems very hard on clad. The worst stuff is that glitter dirt. For some reason I run across a lot of iron also in patches. It isn't actual targets just the dirt loaded with some sort of iron material. I've dug a lot of these and found nothing. The ORX really sounds off on these patches but unfortunately you can't reduce the iron volume. On my Equinox I have it turned down to 1.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking it has something to do with the dirt. Here in NC there is a lot of glittery red dirt. The soil in all the places I've hunted seems very hard on clad. The worst stuff is that glitter dirt. For some reason I run across a lot of iron also in patches. It isn't actual targets just the dirt loaded with some sort of iron material. I've dug a lot of these and found nothing. The ORX really sounds off on these patches but unfortunately you can't reduce the iron volume. On my Equinox I have it turned down to 1.

Yes, having adjustable iron volume as on Deus and Equinox is beneficial, but you can turn iron volume off, if necessary, but still utilize the advantages of discrimination on Orx. Not ideal but an option.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You folks having problems with the latest version might want to try re-installing it. I've heard of some installs that didn't work right the first time, but, did on subsequent installs.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
You folks having problems with the latest version might want to try re-installing it. I've heard of some installs that didn't work right the first time, but, did on subsequent installs.
Some have only had to do a Factory reset. Which would be a good idea.
Doug

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I came along to this post. I noticed everything you have said and more. I had to slow down my coil speed, and turn the sensitivity down for proper vdi. I did notice my pin point was bottom of coil more likely than not. I was amazed the signal does not disappear after two swings over it, as I have noticed that in the past. I noticed small bits of foil is not setting coil off, and only pea sized targets are being found. Hope this helps.

What do you mean by, "I did notice my pin point was bottom of coil more likely than not" Thx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread