Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I posted about my 202 problems and got a great tip that worked. Turns out it was a loose coil plug connection where it connects to the box. I knew something wasn't right but I'm really glad I asked here. Thanks to all who offered their help.

Anyway, I had very little time before dark to test my fix but I did mange about 30 minutes. I didn't find anything great, just a few coins and some trash, but when I dug my last hole (which turned out to contain my least favorite coin; a Zincoln), I reached in to lift out some dirt and I saw what I first thought was a piece of obsidian.

Slag Glass 001.JPG

Slag Glass 002.JPG

Upon closer inspection with a bit of light I realized it was a piece of slag glass. I've run across this before not far from this spot. I actually found the mother lode of huge chunks of black, green and rainbow slag glass a few months ago. It's really cool looking. Some of it looks exactly like obsidian and some of the pieces are almost as big as a softball. I gave a bunch of them away to some kids who thought it was cool but I can get tons of it anytime. It's been lying there for over 100 years.

I still have a shoe box full. I don't know what I'll ever do with it but who knows?? I think it could probably be used by someone interested in learning knapping if only to practice with.

Anyway, that was my most interesting find of the day.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread