Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My wife was sitting on the back porch right before daylight as she relaxed before getting ready for work. She had her coffee and was getting her thoughts gathered for the day's challenges. She works with Special Needs kids at the high school and she loves this quiet time. So, I was still asleep when she came busting in the room and excitedly told me that something was dying out back. As I got up, she said that it was high pitched and sounded like one of my old predator tapes. I smiled as I walked with her and told her that it was probably a rabbit that the cat just caught. I had just told her the day before that I figured that the cat would have caught a rabbit by now.

Anyways, the poor rabbit, a very young one was already in a bad way as the cat toyed with it. Then that quickly, the racket was over and the cat proudly brought it's latest catch over for us to see. The wife said something else about how the tapes sounded just like the rabbit and I told her that the caught and dying rabbit could actually call in a coyote, fox or a bobcat real easily. After the cat made sure that we had seen it's catch, he began eating it and finished it off by noon or so. Nature is not very nice, not like some want you to believe but a hard cruel survival place. Now if I can just him to keep the squirrels out of the garden.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
""""""Now if I can just him to keep the squirrels out of the garden.""""""""

A 22 or pellet gun and a frypan make some good eats.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep but you have to be there when they are in the garden. They will destroy a lot of crops very quickly. They will carry off green tomatoes like crazy and ruin cantaloupes etc. I grew up eating fried squirrel and squirrel and dumplings. Now days prefer the young ones. Rabbits can be rough on a garden too. My grandfather always kept a hollow log rabbit trap by each garden and he kept them cleaned out that way.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A CZ .22 with a single action set trigger and a 10 power scope. I'm sure maw knows how to make the gravy! Best wishes!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a grey tabby that was abandoned by his mother. I'm not sure he's not part European Wildcat because he's unusually small. He came out of the womb kicking butt. Mice, rats, squirrels cats dogs, I'm not sure about bears, but people all day! And not just a threat but a full on attack. I watched him chase a Rottweiler off one day that had threatened me in our yard. It's pretty hilarious to watch a dog that doesn't have a tail tuck and run. I've seen him bring a full grown squirrel into the yard walking on tiptoes to keep it's feet off the ground. Start to consume it and take a break about the back straps somewhere! Take a nap, get his second wind and finish all but the tip of the tail and the toes on one foot.

Only problem is I'm the only one he's ever liked. Everyone else has to run. When Mama ain't happy! You know the rest!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Nature's not supposed to be nice. Everything eats something. That's a good cat BTW. Cat brought the rabbit home to share with you as you share your food with cat. Pack behavior.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nature doesn't have a retirement plan for old or weak critters. They get et.

Foxes, bobcats and fishers make a racket when looking for mates that sounds like something in agony. The foxes and fishers I try my best to assist into the nest realm. We raise chickens.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Foxes, bobcats and fishers make a racket when looking for mates that sounds like something in agony. The foxes and fishers I try my best to assist into the nest realm. We raise chickens.
”Fisher cat”. Odd sound coming from an animal that neither fishes, nor is related to a cat.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

that sounded really close to a rabbit in distress. sounds just like many predator calls. I have seen and heard mountain lions and bobcats in heat calling but they usually call as they move around. They never stay in one place, they tend to try to broadcast that they are receptive and want it now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread