Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughters and I walked down a dried up creek bed the other day. I was looking in the side of the creek banks for flint and saw some red(burnt) rocks and charcoal. I think this was probably a camp fire (?). This creek that we were searching in has changed its course over the last few hundred(or thousand) years and now is cutting into a place where we think there was a major indian camp. Everytime it rains, artifacts(or flint) washes out of the bank. This is the first time I've found rocks from a camp fire though. The creek bank is probably 12' to 15' high and the camp fire rocks were about 4' down from the top of the creek bank. Here's some pics..... (I'll have to reply with more pics because I can only upload 3 at a time)

Attachments

• IMG_4296.JPG
    IMG_4296.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 987
  • IMG_4280.JPG
    IMG_4280.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 964
  • IMG_4297.JPG
    IMG_4297.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 973
  • IMG_6347.JPG
    IMG_6347.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 983
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Something kinda neat in the creek bank

More pics~

Attachments

• IMG_4293.JPG
    IMG_4293.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 987
  • IMG_6348.JPG
    IMG_6348.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 968
  • IMG_6346.JPG
    IMG_6346.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 958
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

theviking said:
Very cool stuff! Look foward to seeing what else will wash out of that bank. Good luck.
Thanks Viking :hello: ! We just had some much needed rain today, so hopefully that'll wash some more stuff out.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would get you a shovel and dig that fire pit out. You just might get lucky and find a few artifacts in there.

Nice pictures too, by the way. Was the Blade in the last picture whole?

beulahlandgirl

Apr 14, 2010
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's Neat, Sis!! You and the girls are blessed to see stuff like that! I gotta come out and go with you!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SRV said:
I would get you a shovel and dig that fire pit out. You just might get lucky and find a few artifacts in there.

Yes, it was a whole blade, SRV---Let me take some pictures and I'll post them to show you. It was a uniface oval blade(scraper).
boulangergold99 said:
That's Neat, Sis!! You and the girls are blessed to see stuff like that! I gotta come out and go with you!
Just waiting on you :tongue3: . (We need to ask the neighbor up north if we can hunt some of grandpa's old haunts.)

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SRV said:

Here's some pics, SRV...Thanks for the comments!

Attachments

• IMG_6774.JPG
    IMG_6774.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 934
  • IMG_6775.JPG
    IMG_6775.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 923
  • IMG_6776.JPG
    IMG_6776.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 927

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville

yes very cool, go back with a little 3 fingered garden tool and scratch around that area and see what you find. all my finds are coming out of an area like that, the only diff is mine is directly below a rock shelter on a bank of a stream/creek.
good luck with more finds!!

Tree

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville

here are a few pics of my site on a bank..
Tree

Attachments

• SNB12482.JPG
    SNB12482.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 953
  • SNB12463.JPG
    SNB12463.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 953
  • SNB12464.JPG
    SNB12464.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 948
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treefrog said:
yes very cool, go back with a little 3 fingered garden tool and scratch around that area and see what you find. all my finds are coming out of an area like that, the only diff is mine is directly below a rock shelter on a bank of a stream/creek.
good luck with more finds!!

Tree
Yes, we will probably do that, Tree. We scratched around those rocks a little the other day, but the dirt was really hard and packed---it would be kinda cool to pull out a point from those layers of rocks and charcoal. We've just got a couple of inches of rain, so it should loosen things up.
Thanks!!

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)

oooooooo dig it dig it!!! if you can!!!! its a midden :headbang: :hello2: ;D :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treefrog said:
here are a few pics of my site on a bank..
Tree
So, are you digging in the dirt that's in front of the shelter or in the shelter itself? Seeing any snakes? ( That's what always scares me away from rock shelters :icon_pale: ).

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Wow, I was wanting to see what something washing out of a creek bank might look like, thanks for the pictures, that is so dang cool! I'm excited for you, keep us posted. we're gonna need alot more rain than we got today, huh? Keeping my fingers crossed for that 2plus inches tomorrow.

Hi boulangergold99 :hello: Welcome to Tnet,
Ok, we're gonna have to shorten that name you got there :icon_scratch: I misspelled it three times. :dontknow:

lisa

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chong2 said:
oooooooo dig it dig it!!! if you can!!!! its a midden :headbang: :hello2: ;D :icon_thumleft:
We're going back, Chong. This gravel bar has produced most of our finds. The old creek bed has given up a broke corner tang and hopewell point as well as many others. The new creek bed(this one pictured) has lots of debitage in it that is washing out from the camp site.
If we find anything else we'll post it.
naturegirl said:
Wow, I was wanting to see what something washing out of a creek bank might look like, thanks for the pictures, that is so dang cool! I'm excited for you, keep us posted. we're gonna need alot more rain than we got today, huh? Keeping my fingers crossed for that 2plus inches tomorrow.

Hi boulangergold99 :hello: Welcome to Tnet,
Ok, we're gonna have to shorten that name you got there :icon_scratch: I misspelled it three times. :dontknow:

lisa
You know I walked by those rocks and even took a picture of them the first time we walked down the creek bed. When I got home, I started looking at them on the computer and realized what it was. Duh!?!? :tard: We went back and took more pics and pulled some of that charcoal out---kinda neat to touch something like that!

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville

yes it is the creek bank all my finds are coming out of, the shelter have been dug long ago, I spent a few hours there , all I found was candy wrappers ,bottle tops and all broken small bits of flint.
nothing worth keeping at all. I think the dirt has been piled back in after it was dug.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treefrog said:
yes it is the creek bank all my finds are coming out of, the shelter have been dug long ago, I spent a few hours there , all I found was candy wrappers ,bottle tops and all broken small bits of flint.
nothing worth keeping at all. I think the dirt has been piled back in after it was dug.
:icon_thumright: I'll keep that in mind, Tree. Thanks!

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010

You might want to carry a screen along if you plan to do some digging, it looks like a good place you may be surprised at what you find with a little digging and scratching around. Good luck !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread