onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my local bank today and asked if they had the gold Pres. dollars (save them for the granddaughter, By the roll) They showed me a memo that the feds are not sending them out anymore because they made to many off them????? You can get them if you go on the net and order them for collectors Is this the way they expect to save the post office??? What kind of goofs are running this? Made to many so there for don't sell them?

Upvote 0

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
This was to correct an ill-advised law from a few years ago that required an extremely high number of each of the presidential dollars to be minted. They minted way more than there was demand for to the point there are now about 1.4 billion unwanted dollar coins sitting in Fed vaults. They have since repealed that provision allowing them to stop minting the presidential dollars except for a small amount for collectors.

I would guess the banks can still get the earlier presidential dollars, but just won't be able to get the new ones (2012 and beyond).

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are definately way too many off them, nobody really wants them(besides casual collectors like yourself, nothing wrong with that)... Do you get the solid $25 rolls crimped from N.F. String&Son? those are real nice.

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats right...the bank tried to unload them on me yesterday saying..." they stopped making them...there will not be any more "

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
thats right...the bank tried to unload them on me yesterday saying..." they stopped making them...there will not be any more "

You should take them, can always dump them somewhere else. It will make the bank happier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions