Something to do with movie posters

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up about 1000 movie posters A few months ago for about a buck apiece as I was digging through one of the bins laying on the bottom there was these pieces there’s probably about 30 of these little cards and maybe 10 or 15 of these block pieces of wood does anybody know what they’re called or how they were used for movie posters
IMG_1176.jpg
IMG_1177.jpg
IMG_1178.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1181.jpg
IMG_1182.jpg
IMG_1183.jpg
IMG_1184.jpg
IMG_1185.jpg

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Printers blocks. Used for papers, posters, newspaper, etc. unique find especially if you find one that has a big following!

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Printers blocks. Used for papers, posters, newspaper, etc. unique find especially if you find one that has a big following!

Does that go for the cardboard item to I found a printing block

Iggyks

May 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cardboard piece was used to create an engraving aka printer's block.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Printers blocks, nice finds! :occasion14:

goldenwonderbear

Feb 27, 2014
CA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In print shops and newspaper plants , in the 40'-60's , these were called "mats". i think one of them says Mat 203. You set them up and use them to make a block to put in a "form". That is what you make a page of news print in. Do this with a casting box that pours molten "pot metal". On Friday, "throw-in day", you strip the forms and put them back in the caster, melt them down, skim off the slag, pour them into "pigs" for the Linotype or go back to setting up more mats to pour..................hal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread