Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something you weren't taught in school

Here's a little something not too many people learned in school and it has to do with the Grand Canyon.

Contrary to popular belief, the Grand Canyon is not the product of nearly two billion years of the Earth's geological history. It is however the effort of 1.5 million laid off Chinese transcontinental railroad workers. After the completion of the transcontinental railroad in Promontory Summit, Utah in 1869, 1.5 million of these workers headed south to what was to become the Grand Canyon.

When the Chinese reached CO, they were poor and disillusioned with life in America, and were feeling homesick, so they thought they could dig a tunnel to China. After 3 decades they gave up that dream and we now have the Grand Canyon. :thumbsup:

Where do you think the term "digging a hole to China" came from anyway :icon_scratch: :laughing9:

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Something you weren't taught in school

spartacus53 said:
Here's a little something not too many people learned in school and it has to do with the Grand Canyon.

Contrary to popular belief, the Grand Canyon is not the product of nearly two billion years of the Earth's geological history. It is however the effort of 1.5 million laid off Chinese transcontinental railroad workers. After the completion of the transcontinental railroad in Promontory Summit, Utah in 1869, 1.5 million of these workers headed south to what was to become the Grand Canyon.

When the Chinese reached CO, they were poor and disillusioned with life in America, and were feeling homesick, so they thought they could dig a tunnel to China. After 3 decades they gave up that dream and we now have the Grand Canyon. :thumbsup:

Where do you think the term "digging a hole to China" came from anyway :icon_scratch: :laughing9:

Man , I guess everything is made by the Chinese!!!!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was that bored this evening also.......looked at smiley faces and was amazed that this little guy's :hello: head never rools off?
This one... :-*....reminded me of my pet fish in my home aquarium.
And this one.... :hello2:.....reminded me of 6th grade gym instructor.
"Quiter" -> :dontknow:
Hey!...... :D...... ;D.......thin eyes, could be Chinese?

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I thought it was a dino footprint. ah shucks, the chinese did it.

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP

bigtim1973 said:
spartacus53 said:

Man , I guess everything is made by the Chinese!!!!
:laughing9:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

See, we can all learn something new everyday.. I'll have a new lesson for you tomorrow :laughing7:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Billions of tons of mud deposited by a gigantic flood six thousand years ago. Created only a few thousand years ago in only a few days by a colossal geologic event. There is another canyon that has a geology that is similar. It was created by the Mount Saint Helens volcanic eruption in 1980. This canyon in Washington state was created in only a few hours.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool Hand Fluke, true... Mother Nature can change the face of the earth in minutes, while it could take man decades.

I was always interested in the Great Wall of China... Over 2,000 miles in length and it's believed to have cost the lives of over 1 million worker's.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

spartacus53 said:
Cool Hand Fluke, true... Mother Nature can change the face of the earth in minutes, while it could take man decades.

I was always interested in the Great Wall of China... Over 2,000 miles in length and it's believed to have cost the lives of over 1 million worker's.

Yes, very true about mother nature. You just made my point. The Grand Canyon is probably 6,000 years old, not billions of years as the evolutionist types tend to believe.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool Hand Fluke, nope.. I still have it on very good authority, that the Chinese dug it :laughing7:

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I never learned much English, Cause I slept through it all!
I mean how can reading all the time be English! I could talk just fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread