Sommer Island Shilling 1616

coin newbie

Jan 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How often are these duplicated? And how can you know for sure if you have something great! :hello2: or something... :confused:

Why do I ask? Well, kinda curious I suppose. I was looking on the www and the valuations seem to be crazy.

So, the question really is not only about this particular coin. But rather in general. What if you have something with potential. Who do you go to?

For instance, if i'm in Middle America or if i'm in Florida or Oregon.

I hope this is not too generic a question. You folks dont seem to be the type that would flame a newbie. :thumbsup:

Antonio

Upvote 0

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
a good start is posting pics here. We can easily weed out the obvious fakes. Or, we can direct you where to go if authenticity can't be determined.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is many fakes, and you can tell how the coin is made as well as comparing the variety. some fakes, especially the bad ones, will not match the genuine coin.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you post a pic there's several on here who can tell you right away. Those are very very rare! But their is one member at least who has found Hogge money

OP
OP
C

coin newbie

Jan 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend with this coin. It looks fake but I don't know what it is. Any idea.

Attachments

• 20150122_143819.jpg
    20150122_143819.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 161
  • 20150122_143446.jpg
    20150122_143446.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 163

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
coin newbie....99.999% sure you are correct in your assertion the coin you have is fake. It's supposed to be a "bar copper" first introduced in 1785 and based off the design of revolutionary war coat buttons. Here's what a couple real deal examples went for at a recent auction.

Goldberg Coins and Collectibles

Hope this helps and welcome to TNET

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
If you post a pic there's several on here who can tell you right away. Those are very very rare! But their is one member at least who has found Hogge money
who found one?

I think that coin is the coolest bro

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
who found one?

I think that coin is the coolest bro

Well I thought by the original post that was what was being discussed but it was a bar copper

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And yes I agree the Hogge money is some of the coolest old currency. I'd kill to find some. And it was Hogge on here that found one.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sommer Island pieces or Hogge money have been copied for decades. Real ones are quite rare. In going to auctions over the last 30 years I've examined a number of them. Problem is, most of the originals look almost as poor as the copies. They do turn up with detectors once in a while, but not on the mainland US. The bar copper pictured above is without a doubt a fake.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
For those that may not be familiar with the history of Sommer Island or Hogge coinage, here's an excellent overview about how these coins came to exist.

Sommer Islands Hogge Money: Introduction

Last fall when the colonial coin expert came by my house to pick up the Lord Baltimore sixpence, he showed me a bunch of coins he was taking with him to the Baltimore coin show for possible sale. One of them was a Sommer Island shilling in remarkable condition, and it had a price tag of $28,000 if I recall correctly. It was awesome to have the privilege to actually hold such a valuable piece of history. Wish I had taken a pic as it was the first and probably the only one I'll ever see firsthand.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those that may not be familiar with the history of Sommer Island or Hogge coinage, here's an excellent overview about how these coins came to exist.

Sommer Islands Hogge Money: Introduction

Last fall when the colonial coin expert came by my house to pick up the Lord Baltimore sixpence, he showed me a bunch of coins he was taking with him to the Baltimore coin show for possible sale. One of them was a Sommer Island shilling in remarkable condition, and it had a price tag of $28,000 if I recall correctly. It was awesome to have the privilege to actually hold such a valuable piece of history. Wish I had taken a pic as it was the first and probably the only one I'll ever see firsthand.

Knowing you one will be in your next hole lol

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Knowing you one will be in your next hole lol

If that ever happens Abe, it won't be this season. I've pretty much written this one off as a major disappointment, with the exception of one find of course :laughing7:.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that ever happens Abe, it won't be this season. I've pretty much written this one off as a major disappointment, with the exception of one find of course :laughing7:.

Yeah bud I know you've been disappointed but something amazing can always be in that next hole, especially where you are. As you and I know it only takes one to make for an amazing season. Btw your bad seasons are a dream for most. And this lull will just make that next killer site a little sweeter

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm totally lost here. But Hogge and Hoagie are very similar so now I'm hungry. Gonna go grab a sandwich.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm totally lost here. But Hogge and Hoagie are very similar so now I'm hungry. Gonna go grab a sandwich.

Called it Hogge money cause it had a little pig on it :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread