Son could use a little extra help - prayer - Update 8-18-07

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Since shortly after birth my son has had a Shunt. The last 15 years have been uneventful and he has enjoyed the almost normal life of any other boy (except football-no contact sports allowed). He is a Life Scout working towards his Eagle and outstanding member in Order Of The Arrow. Beginning of May he became extremely sick and I rushed him to the ER. To have your child laying on the floor screaming and begging for you to make the pain go away because his head hurts is a rather difficult thing to happen. Needless to say we ended up in Omaha under the care of a Neuro Surgeon.

He has had 3 surgeries, in hopes to correct the shunt and as of yet to no avail. Yesterday we had to make another fast trip to Omaha for surgery 3. Luckily my employer has an excellent sick leave policy and I can stay home (haven't been to work since May 1) to monitor and nursemaid him. He has outstanding courage to go through this each time and endure a pain that no drug will lessen the pain (I've watched them pump enough Morphine in him that would have knocked out an entire platoon, only to watch him still screaming.)

The wife and I are handling the overload of stress well but yesterday he was awaiting his turn for surgery and expressed his frustration and is at the point of giving up his activities and living the life of a kid that has to do nothing and sitting around the house waiting for the next symptons. Needless to say he and I had a large dose pep talk. He spoke to his twin brother on the phone and told him the same thing, again we had this intense discussion.

The Surgeons are working hard in trying to resolve the problems, but they even admit that his condition is unique requiring a completely different approach. There is a team of Neurosurgeons and doctors of Neurology working on his problem. Hopefully yesterdays surgery solves the problem, the next steps if the catheter doesn't work is more invasive and higher risk with each step. He and us have discussed these options and he doesn't look forward to the possibilities.

So any extra prayer that he can have to help would be greatly appreciated.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Re: Son could use a little extra help - prayer

You got it.
I'll say an extra prayer for him.

Whats his name ???

Burt

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

My thoughts and prayers are with him, and with all your family. I'm sure that everyone here at TNet joins me in wishing him a fast and full recovery.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Tell him to hang in there,that they will solve it yet along with God's help and all our prayers.God Bless him .

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

My prayers are with your son and your entire family! ~hugsnprayers~

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

eagle77,

God bless you and yours.
Prayers sent.

My youngest went through a lot, today
he is doing well. Tough on the child, tough
on the parents, tough on the entire family.

All hang in there. Family together.

Hope everything will work out; sounds like
a fine young man.

have a good un...
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70

wildrider said:
You got it.
I'll say an extra prayer for him.

Whats his name ???

Burt

Bradley

Thanks everyone, I'm off to Omaha and see how he and his mom handled the night. Hopefully the CT Scan shows progress and that everything is solved.

The surgical staff commented yesterday that they are amazed at his politeness and how respectful he is under the circumstance. He always says please, thank you, etc. They said he won't speak unless they ask him a question. I asked them if they have the right kid ;D.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Well tell Bradley we are praying for him and update us as soon as you have time again!

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

Hoping for a quick solution and recovery

you and your son are in our prayers.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000

To have your child laying on the floor screaming and begging for you to make the pain go away because his head hurts is a rather difficult thing to happen.

eagle77,

I know so well what you mean with what you said. In '99, my daughter was in a serious car accident and the doctors told her she would never walk again. She...being my daughter.... ::) threw the bedpan at the doctor....and 6 months later she was walking.

Don't let Bradley give up! Let him know that Life is a precious gift. I know my words won't come even close to those that you and Bradley shared, but let him know we are praying for him. And, let me tell you, when my daughter was lying there screaming to make the pain go away in Dec '99..........and then seeing her 6 months later walking......I know that prayer works. And, by the way, my daughter will celebrate her 27th birthday this coming Christmas..........yes...my Christmas present in 1980.

Take care, my friend, keep us informed. Bradley is definitely in my prayers!
--Mel

borninok

frostytiger

Mar 16, 2007
SE Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm III

My prayers are with Bradley and your family as well, may God watch over you.
Frosty

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Bradley is in my prayers as are you and your wife. Please keep us updated as to his progress.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Here's to a successful surgery and a speedy recovery- :)

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family!

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

I'll keep you all in my prayers, I truely believe in the power of prayer. All my best to you and your family.

My husbands nephew has been going through a similar situation for the past year to year and a half. He's doing fine now and almost no headaches since his shunt was put in.

Keep a positive outlook on things and never give up hope

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe

Saying a prayer for Bradley and the family, hold in there. Donny

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

We will say a prayer for him. Don't let him give up on that Eagle. He will regret not getting it. I know this for a fact, I was a Life scout and OA member.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

Eagle,
Prayers being said for Bradley and your family....
....... "And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."
James 5:15-16

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread