spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel free to post a song that will jar a specific memory, whether it's happy, sad, triumphant, funny, anything. Just include why the song remains special to you

My choice - Hitching a Ride by Vanity Fair

It had to be either 1969, or 70 when I came to know the song all too well :dontknow:

At the time I was either a CIT, or councilor at TMR Boy Scout Camp.. I'm pretty sure it was 69, right after Woodstock, then again everything's still a bit fuzzy about those summers. Anyway, I was at the age still not old enough to drive and the only mode of transportation was your thumb. We would hitch from Narrowsburg, NY to Monticello, NY on our days off and hit the arcade and perhaps a movie in the evening. Then we would have to hitch back.

This night the god's were angry and it poured, I mean the drops were so big and fell so fast I nearly got a concussion. Needless to say, not too many people were on the road, and the one that were probably didn't see until they were past us. Our BSA Kerchiefs were useless at this point, no one could see them, let alone us. Well we started walking from the town and made it about a mile past the race track where we saw a bar. We figured go in, dry off, have a soda and call camp and beg for someone to pick us up. Well, here we are 2 guys like drowned rats, dripping a ton of water on the floor and the whole bar just looked at us.. One guy got up and played this song and the whole bar just laughed at us..

We were lucky that someone did come and get us about an hour later :tongue3:

A sad, but true story :laughing7:

To my buddy Baron, I hope you are well my dear friend :headbang:

Music will spur memories, so share them :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/v/oIbaISxK8QY

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any song that doesn't have a video associated with it. I remember what was happening when the song came out, rather than what the video was all about.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will never forget this song because it came out at the time my dad was diagnosed with cancer. He eventually beat the cancer, and went on to live many years until he passed in 2000, but I will always be thankful to this song for it's poignant message to me. My dad and I were very close after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDA0Hecw1k

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.

Too many years on what the old timers called the 'hoot owl trail'.
Out all night & barely getting home as the sun was coming up, if not later.
Even my Dad asked me one morning if I was a vampire. Wouldn't even want
to try those all-nighters out in the boondocks anymore. Enuf is enuf.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what I find interesting is that ZZ Top gets the nod from 2 people. Although I am not a real fan of the group, I can see that their music is appreciated by some, enough to hold some fond memories

thrillathahunt, loved your choice, but a little too late for me. The one the struck me was Harry Chapin's song, not only for my father, but my 2 sons

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that's a sad one! I started a thread quite some time ago here about the saddest songs ever....and that one was at the top of my list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread