SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The possibilities are that 1) your machine is falsing or you didn’t pinpoint properly and you aren’t digging where the target is. You can ground balance, lower your sensitivity and recheck the hole and surrounding area or 2) you actually moved the target with your digger and it’s maybe off to the side or stuck in the dirt on your digger. 3) it is a tiny piece of rusted crap that disintegrated when you dug it up. When I was new to detecting I used to spend a lot of time finding my target. It’s just a few seconds now mostly because I know what my machine sounds like when I have a real target and I am much better at pinpointing.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happens Ive dug targets a flung it but didn't realize for a bit or have it stuck to my digger lol

OP
OP
J

JRH

Greenie
May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had a ping for silver about 3 inches... when i dug nothing was there dug a 3 inch radius hole... ran over it again didnt pick anything up

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had a ping for silver about 3 inches... when i dug nothing was there dug a 3 inch radius hole... ran over it again didnt pick anything up

If you had a strong silver hit...there was something there. It's those deep, scratchy, bouncy hits that usually turns out to be an old iron target that disintegrated when you dug in, as SusanMN stated. It's all a learning curve, just comes down to digging thousands of plugs. If I have a strong hit and can't locate it in the first 30 seconds or so, I've either not pin-pointed it correctly or I've mis-judged the depth. Good luck, and dig dig dig! Ddf.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sometimes it is literally the dirt. An abrupt change in mineralization. As suggested, re-ground balance, drop your sensitivity a notch, and recheck the hole.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do all of you do, when you have a hit but cant find anything and run over it again and nothing, or your pointer dosnt pick anything up?

I go out and buy a F75 :laughing7:

Chub

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the "Great Addiction". Years ago my son and I were detecting an old empty lot. The ground was rock hard and I got a sweet signal. As I chipped away at the ground with my digger I mysteriously lost the signal. Searched all around the spot for 3 or 4 minutes and finally just gave up. A few minutes later, my son walks by and excitedly says , "Hey dad, I found a mercury dime just laying on the ground!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread