Jan 2, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Commando
Cen Tech pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg
Been raining here in SW Arkansas, so a couple of days ago I asked my wife where that silver dollar was that her dad gave her at birth. "Cedar chest and you want it?" Please, I said and she fetched it for me. I looked at it and could see it was a 1923 and 50+ years before she was born and thought hey, this could be valuable. Looked it up and seen it was worth $8,000 in top shape. OMG. More research ensued and found that it needed an s on the reverse side by the tail.....looked and there was not one. Ugh..double ugh !!! My only find for the day and never left my recliner. I hope my pic shows up and was wondering, what's so valuable about that darn s ? Please excuse my lack of knowledge since I have just been hooked on this since Christmas.

Upvote 1

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Papaw55,
Not being a smart azz, But stop by Booksamillion and get a red book of american coins,
It's a wealth of knowledge on American and early Colonial coinage of the U.S............HH

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "S" mint - (made at the San Francisco mint) is a lower mintage coin than the plain (no mint mark) dollar which is actually made at the Philadelphia mint. That's the difference (as well as) the quantity minted at 1 mint VS the other. The 1923 P mint had almost 31 million minted and the S mint produced just over 19 million.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread