Sorta found today.........

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
A fellow I work with brought this in today maybe wanting to sell it. All I know is he found it in Colorado in the mountains and has been told that it from an Indian tribe made of float copper, they thought it was some sorta tool. Anybody have an idea? It seems there was a post on here some time ago with something like it on it. Thanks for looking.....gregd573.....HH all.

Attachments

• california gold 004.jpg
    california gold 004.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 690
  • california gold 005.jpg
    california gold 005.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 695
  • california gold 006.jpg
    california gold 006.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 691
  • california gold 007.jpg
    california gold 007.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 700
  • california gold 008.jpg
    california gold 008.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 685
Upvote 0

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont know what it is but is doesn't seen to be made of copper i say iron or steel

OP
OP
gregd573

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Thanks whitesid....the pictures don't do it much justice but although he has had it for awhile he has not cleaned it other than the dirt which was on it and it does not show rust???????? A site I was just in showed some cases of a small amount of silver mixed in the float copper when it was smelted. If its like any other deal I get involved in, it could go one of two ways.........1. worth a mint and I decide to pass or 2. absoultely worthless and I spend a fortune on it. Think I will let this one pass on by though.....lol

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no expert on float copper (Copper Culture) artifacts even though they are usually dug up in northern Michigan or Wisconsin (Lake Superior region).

I've owned many many pieces but never one that looked like your picture.

Usually float copper artifacts were made of flattened raw copper hammered thin and then rolled into awls, points, etc. They're very old and may even pre-date the people known today as "Native American." There is much heated controversy over this whole issue.

Anyway, take it to an expert is all I can say. It may not be "Copper Culture" but it still may be very old.

Best,

Badger

OP
OP
gregd573

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Thank you badger.....while looking for some information on this, I did notice that Michigan was a hot spot for float copper. Experts in something like this are few and far between.....thanks again......gregd573

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a friend is in to indian things ill ask him to cheak it out

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
I cant tell the size of it from the photo, but seems like I saw something like that once before and it was a trappers hide (skin) punch. As for what kind of metal yours is, I have no idea.

~KANSAS~

OP
OP
gregd573

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
a friend is in to indian things ill ask him to check it out.......

Thank you whitecid it would be much appreciated....

I cant tell the size of it from the photo, but seems like I saw something like that once before and it was a trappers hide (skin) punch. As for what kind of metal yours is, I have no idea.

Sorry Kansas.....I forgot to put something in the picture for size reference...it is about 7 or 8 inches in length and approximately the size of a quarter in diameter at its biggest point. Somebody had told the guy that it was a hide scrapper (end which has been pounded flat) and the pointy end was an awl....sounds feasible.....gregd573

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread