bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, most automotive shops will give it away--used wheel weights. I know where I work at Goodyear, we about 20 5 gallon buckets of it waiting for someone to take it off our hands.

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude its everywhere ::)
if you have a metal detector you can find it very easily. got to the popular fishing spots. there you will find tons of lead weights, if you find places where the foreigners go, they love to use big weights. i find weights up to half a pound.

detect old shooting ranges. you will tons of lead where the targets were, i did that and loaded up on lead. then you go back from there and you will find the brass shell casings.

finally ask your dentest. mine have me about 5 pounds in old X-ray things. he had a huge old box of them and just gave me all of it. ;)

i have a question for you to. when you asked the automotive shops did you get any from them?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
If anyone has any real old lead like from a ship wreck or even the 1800's I will purchase it.
By the way Tire weights do not contain much lead if any- its a EPA thing and bullets no longer contain ANY lead.
For all those that have lead from old practice bombs-the non exploding ones I would be interested.
Old X-rays do not contain LEAD they contain SILVER.
pEG lEG

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peg Leg said:
If anyone has any real old lead like from a ship wreck or even the 1800's I will purchase it.
By the way Tire weights do not contain much lead if any- its a EPA thing and bullets no longer contain ANY lead.
For all those that have lead from old practice bombs-the non exploding ones I would be interested.
Old X-rays do not contain LEAD they contain SILVER.
pEG lEG
wow, i didnt know that, about the tire weights and the x-rays. thanks
with the bullets i ment if you go to a older shooting range, then you will find the lead

how much silver is in the X-ray things?? i just sold like 5 pounds of it :'(

OP
OP
Ben_banned

Ben_banned

Jan 20, 2007
I knew tire wieghts werent made of lead but bullets?
I know muzzleloaders are definatley using lead.
If what you are saying is true what kind of alloy is it?

OP
OP
Ben_banned

Ben_banned

Jan 20, 2007
whitesid said:
if you have a metal detector you can find it very easily. got to the popular fishing spots. there you will find tons of lead weights, if you find places where the foreigners go, they love to use big weights. i find weights up to half a pound.
Sinkers arent made of lead most of the time now.

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben_banned said:
whitesid said:
Sinkers arent made of lead most of the time now.
yes, they are made of tungsten now. but most of what people use are still the old lead ones, that is like 99% of what you find.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just what are tire weights made of now if not lead? My bosses dad melts them down all the time and makes lead bars.

OP
OP
Ben_banned

Ben_banned

Jan 20, 2007
Not sure just passing (probally wrong) information from another board.

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the weights are made of tungsten
this one i know for sure ;)

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Most are made from Bismuth and antimony.
Muzzle loading bullets are still made from lead but even that is becoming a thing of the past.
The material from X-rays is 99% silver to start with but in order to get rid of the other junk is the reason that you refine it.
If you sold 5 pounds x 16 ounces = 80 ounces x $8.00 per ounce = $640.00.
Now convert this to TROY OUNCES.
If you were to sell this to a Refiner they will pay 90% of the Silver spot= $11.34 per troy ounce IS WHAT THEY WILL PAY YOU.
Chances are you did not get anywhere this amount.
It pays to do a Little research.

O.K. as far as bullets are concerned this was agreed on because the lead would cause LEAD POISON
;D ;D
IT IS O.K. TO SHOT SOMEONE BUT NOT GIVE THEM BLOOD POISON ???

Here is a little known secret.
OLD LEAD and I mean very old lead up to the early 1800's will sale by the ounce and will bring as much a SILVER.
For more information go to the SHIPWRECK TOPIC SECTION and scroll down to the Antique Lead section. You will be surprised at the value of old lead.
Peg leg

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoolMoDee said:
I use 38+p rounds at the range and they are lead.
Love the avatar me fellow droogie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions