Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a BEAUTY! It does deserve the banner......but there are rules for a new member. Find of a lifetime buddy! CONGRATS.................Hogge :notworthy:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner for the buckle and the coke bottle. :notworthy:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, I'm voting banner! Many go their lifetimes and never find anything like that. :icon_thumleft:

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a awesome find for sure, I sure would like to know the feeling of digging something with that much history up it has to be a very special feeling for sure, Congrats :notworthy: Banner for sure, you have my vote.

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mine eyes have seen the glory......dude there are no words....

Attachments

• donm.gif
    donm.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 710

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is a nice dump.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see your New.
Date Registered: Yesterday at 09:49:37 pm
welcome to treasureNet.

I like the bottles :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
heybubbajay

heybubbajay

Feb 28, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
flakefinder said:
That is a awesome find for sure, I sure would like to know the feeling of digging something with that much history up it has to be a very special feeling for sure, Congrats :notworthy: Banner for sure, you have my vote.

In response...more detail to the story

I enjoy history and ever since I was a child I had dreamt of being an archaeologist...and this was before Raiders of the lost ark...any-who, I moved to SC to restore a house rich in civil war history. Within two blocks of my home, there are sites where Jefferson Davis spoke, and the makeshift quarters where the SC governor, Magrath, fled to at the end of the war as Columbia burned. There were also proving grounds in the area & I found a site where I believe the local Coca Cola bottling company disposed of its old bottles at the beginning of the last century. I have pulled numerous quality pre-1910 cokes out of the site. It's in a gulley where the side of the gulley wall runs a visible vein of broken glass, all Mid-script cokes or earlier--nothing later then 1910. On a warm day recently I went to dig and I knew I was getting close to pretty much digging the entire site since the vein of broken glass had come to an end. It started as a pretty @$%* day since all I was pulling out of the ground were broken bottles. I was muddy and tired. I was digging probably around 4-6' down. A shovel full of dirt exposed this odd green item. At first I thought it was the surround to an old steamer trunk but it was just too ornate looking. I set it aside and kept digging. About a half hour later the other side fell out of the ground, the spoon side. I wiped it clean and realized it had a Palmetto tree stamped on it...the insignia of SC. I had a civil war belt buckle! It gets more interesting after research because I found it belonged to the 1850s SC militia, the troops that fired on Fort Sumter & started the civil war. New southerners entering the war in the 1860s would have had a CS or CSA buckle. It was shocking. Nothing dug from the site was as old as this item and subsequent digs exposed no other relics. Prior to garbage pickup people would throw their trash down the ravines in the woods as someone likely must have tossed this belt...you never know what you are going to find or where it will turn up!

Here is a circa 1880s Munyon's Paw Paw bottle found around my property...

Attachments

• 100_1322.JPG
    100_1322.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 581

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a lot of cool stuff while digging for bottles but nothing as awesome as that buckle! Way to go!! :headbang:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is freaking outstanding!!!Better known as a Tongue and Wreath.Made of Cast Brass :thumbsup:

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unbelievable! Nice job!!!

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
heybubbajay said:
flakefinder said:

In response...more detail to the story

I enjoy history and ever since I was a child I had dreamt of being an archaeologist...and this was before Raiders of the lost ark...any-who, I moved to SC to restore a house rich in civil war history. Within two blocks of my home, there are sites where Jefferson Davis spoke, and the makeshift quarters where the SC governor, Magrath, fled to at the end of the war as Columbia burned. There were also proving grounds in the area & I found a site where I believe the local Coca Cola bottling company disposed of its old bottles at the beginning of the last century. I have pulled numerous quality pre-1910 cokes out of the site. It's in a gulley where the side of the gulley wall runs a visible vein of broken glass, all Mid-script cokes or earlier--nothing later then 1910. On a warm day recently I went to dig and I knew I was getting close to pretty much digging the entire site since the vein of broken glass had come to an end. It started as a pretty @$%* day since all I was pulling out of the ground were broken bottles. I was muddy and tired. I was digging probably around 4-6' down. A shovel full of dirt exposed this odd green item. At first I thought it was the surround to an old steamer trunk but it was just too ornate looking. I set it aside and kept digging. About a half hour later the other side fell out of the ground, the spoon side. I wiped it clean and realized it had a Palmetto tree stamped on it...the insignia of SC. I had a civil war belt buckle! It gets more interesting after research because I found it belonged to the 1850s SC militia, the troops that fired on Fort Sumter & started the civil war. New southerners entering the war in the 1860s would have had a CS or CSA buckle. It was shocking. Nothing dug from the site was as old as this item and subsequent digs exposed no other relics. Prior to garbage pickup people would throw their trash down the ravines in the woods as someone likely must have tossed this belt...you never know what you are going to find or where it will turn up!

Here is a circa 1880s Munyon's Paw Paw bottle found around my property...

Great story.
Have you found any SC Dispensary bottles in that dump?

Palmetto

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slightly off topic aside from the buckle being the find of a lifetime , the Union SC S-S Coke is extremely rare , they have a citron coloration. There is one in the Antique Coca Cola Bottle HALL of FAME .. heybubbajay , is it one you dug ? one of the greatest of coke bottle digs , :wink: your digging a treasure dump :o

dawg

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love that buckle!!!!! :headbang:

OP
OP
heybubbajay

heybubbajay

Feb 28, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
There is one in the Antique Coca Cola Bottle HALL of FAME .. heybubbajay , is it one you dug ? one of the greatest of coke bottle digs , :wink: your digging a treasure dump :o

dawg

The SS Coke probably is not one of mine...they are indeed pretty rare. Consequently, I have found a few circle slug cokes from Union, most collectors were not aware a Union circle slug existed ( see above pics)...There are Union Pepsis from about the same period but are hard to find since the company was only in Union for only a year or so...I have dug only 1/2 of a Union Pepsi bottle...

Attachments

• 100_1147.JPG
    100_1147.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 469
  • 100_1149.JPG
    100_1149.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 468
OP
OP
heybubbajay

heybubbajay

Feb 28, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one small clear Jo Jo flask but it was flattened and yes, there was also a piece of a broken AMBER dispensary found, but no complete bottles. I will dig literally dozens of cokes then I do find a 2oth century liquor bottle mixed in...my assumption is whoever was dumping the soda bottles may have also swigged some hooch and then got rid of the evidence...

I know a few collectors who dug Dispensaries literally by the barrell back in the day...I have dug three in the past year or so...SC monogram flasks nothing of real interest...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread