Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting all of the great articles and artifacts everyone. After my son found that Clovis point, we got out some more, but I couldn't post. Since I'm now able to, I figured that that I'd share some more of our finds from this past spring, although none were as outstanding as the Clovis.

My two sons and I decided to check a field that we really hadn't hunted much, but figured that we'd give it a try since the conditions were good. The first day, we all found something to take home, which was nice.
IMG_3272.JPG
The small Meadowwood was the best of that day and the base is really ground smooth, although the one scraper is pretty nice...
Meadowwood base cropped.jpg hafted scraper 1.jpg

We went back shortly thereafter a couple of times and my son found another nicer hafted scraper to go along with the first and I found a preform and a stemmed point...
hafted scapers 1.jpg preform.jpg hafted scraper 2.jpg

We also found a bunch more broken stuff and plenty of flakes, so we'll be checking out a couple of the areas again, whenever the ground is right.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:
Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
That would have been close to the best day I ever had.

In pics 1 & 3, what you're calling a scraper is a microblade core. I knew they were from a Woodland era context, but never which one. Your finding one with a Meadowwood establishes the connection in my mind, if in no one else's.

Nice going.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would have been close to the best day I ever had.

In pics 1 & 3, what you're calling a scraper is a microblade core. I knew they were from a Woodland era context, but never which one. Your finding one with a Meadowwood establishes the connection in my mind, if in no one else's.

Nice going.

Thanks. Any day that me and both my boys find something is a great day! I'll look into microblade cores and see if it fits. Some of the flaking and beveling around the rounded portion made me think that it was used as a scraper and perhaps hafted.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Meadowwood guys loved exotic, high-quality chert and traded for it over longer distances than you ever see anything travel from around Middle Archaic on. Here in Pennsylvania, they gathered glacial pebbles of Onondaga, heat treated them, and (bi-polar percussion) split them into halves. These became microblade cores with little removals running from around the edge up toward the center (other, improvisatory shapes are found also).

In a lot of ways those people re-capitulated Paleo attitudes.

FWIW

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread