South Florida History: Digging the Relics that Tell the Story

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George E. Merrick Farm Artifacts Discovered on Coral Gables Pioneer Day

Learning about the real history of a place is no game for wussies. Sometimes you have to defy the established order and just dig where you know you must, then let the results speak for themselves.

Last weekend I did just that. In one of those strange coincidences, I was digging up relics from the homestead of Coral Gables' foremost pioneer and founder, George E. Merrick, on the same day that the city of Coral Gables was celebrating Pioneer Day. I had no idea Coral Gables even had a pioneer day, but I think it's a good idea.

Statue of George Merrick in front of City Hall

George moved down to Miami in 1899 as a teenager with his father from Massachusetts by way of Pennsylvania. They quickly improved the impoverished Dade County homestead that they had bought sight unseen, and with the advise and help of their black Bahamian neighbors they quickly became successful truck farmers. (Merrick gave the Bahamians credit for informing the American settlers how to grow tropical plants on limestone rock in an article he wrote for the Historical Society of South Florida in the 1940s just before he died.) As a young man, George Merrick often drove a mule and wagon loaded with vegetables over to the Royal Palm Hotel at the mouth of the Miami River. Anything the hotel did not buy, he peddled around town. After a few years growing vegetables for sale in Miami, the citrus and avocado groves that George and his father had planted started bearing fruit. By 1913, Coral Gables Plantation, as the Merricks had named their farm, was the largest agricultural operation in South Florida, with a packing plant on-site.

But farming was no longer the foremost activity in South Florida for ambition men: urban real estate development was the new ticket to success. Merrick was already a wealthy real estate agent and subdivision developer in Miami by 1921 when he determined to design and build a new city from scratch, several miles southwest of Miami, out in what was then the boonies. At the heart of Merrick's planned city would be his own family farm of 160 acres. He bought a vast quantity of acreage in addition to the original homestead, and he began sub-dividing his farm and groves and the virgin Dade County pine forests into city lots with broad boulevards, grand plazas, elegant Mediterranean style structures, the world famous Venetian pool, electrified lighting, sidewalks, even a new university. It was his intention to create the most beautiful, well conceived and executed new city that the 20th century could produce. To a certain extent, he succeeded. In any case, the family farm ceased to exist, and in 1925 the city of Coral Gables was officially incorporated.

The family farm is indeed long gone, but the Merrick family home still stands in the city of Coral Gables. Today it is a museum, owned by the city, open to the public, and is preserved very much as it was in the 1920's. It sits on a city lot about half an acre in size, just a tiny remnant of the original homestead. It is shaded by massive, old live oaks.

Well, it occurred to me that artifacts from the old Merrick homestead could still be buried under present day Coral Gables. It would be a gas to find something connected to Merrick. But how to get access to the most likely spots to dig?

Of course, digging is not permitted on the museum property itself. But it is permitted on the public right-of-ways that now transect the old Merrick farm. The house today faces Coral Way, which runs along the southern boundary of the museum property. Castile Avenue borders the rear of the property, and its 7' wide, bare dirt swale runs contiguous to the museum's property line for about 60 yards, and it's only 40 yards from the back door of the main house. This strip of earth would have been an intimate part of the Merrick farmstead prior to the subdividing of the Merrick farm ca.1921.

I used my White's Eagle Spectrum metal detector to sweep the swale from one end of the property to the other. I only found two artifacts, but they are humdingers, and announce clearly that on this site horses and/or mules had been used as draft animals. I recovered a brass harness ring and buckle. I found them within a few inches of each other in a single hole, about 7" deep. As I first handled these artifacts, it was easy to imagine the young George E. Merrick using these very items to harness his mule to the wagon full of vegetables, bound for market in Miami at the crack of dawn.

The significance of these artifacts lies mainly in their connection to George Merrick. I don't think it would be a stretch to say he is to Coral Gables what George Washington is to the Unites States. These artifacts do also tend to confirm that on this site there had been a working farm, a point not in dispute, nonetheless, these are real, physical artifacts attesting to that fact.

At some point, the farmstead structures were torn down, the contents were sold, the old worn harness was discarded, the leather or fibers rotted away, the brass sank into the soil, the ground was filled and leveled, the street paved, and the old brass harness tack was buried away in the darkness under ground for a hundred years.
cinch+ring+and+harness+buckle.jpg
Brass harness ring and buckle

Click on the picture to see the video:

Unfortunately for Merrick, the hurricane of 1926 killed the real estate craze in South Florida. The bubble burst, and reputable developers like Merrick went bust along with many of the frenzied speculators flipping properties. Merrick lost everything but the family home. He did secure a position as postmaster of Coral Gables, however, a job he held at the time of his death in 1942.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice post and nice video! I enjoyed them both. Good job!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story.

The real treasure is the connection you've established through your hard work. I really enjoy that part of the hunt.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Enjoyed your video and the accuracy of the history. You are correct about south Florida farmers learning from the Bahamians regarding agriculture in the tropical wilderness. My great grandfather came to Miami in 1898 and built a house at S. 10th Street & Brickell. It is pictured in the 1899 or 1900 Metropolis for winning a landscaping award. He started an agricultural store in Miami and did business with Merricks and others. Some of my second cousins once lived in some of those old houses near the bay. My grandfather's brother, a WW1 veteran did well in real estate then lost it all during the depression. He died in 1963 in the Coral Gables Veteran's hospital, which is actuallly the Biltmore Hotel. My grandfather, who patented a mango picking device, got into the mango business. He and his partner selected the best mangos in town, from a tree in the yard of a Bahamian woman with the last name of Hayden. They grew acres of mango trees from her mango seeds and named the variety as the Hayden mango, in her honor. The Hayden variety exists to this day but many are unaware how it got its name. I used to dig silver out of the Coral Gables schools and the old Southside school, where my father and aunt attended during the 1930's. Unfortunately, your buckles probbaly do not predate 1900. It appears to be a buckle from an old dog collar (minus the pin); and the ring woud have attached to a dog chain, for staking out a dog, or another small animal. My grandfather grew up near GGF's house, on S, 9th avenue, a block or two west of Brickel. I was fortunate to hunt that area with my club during the mid to late 1980's, as those homes were being demolished. When my grandfather lived there, woods were all around them to the south and west. Often, they shot at Bobcats and Panthers that came in on their chicken coupe. If you search a bit farther south toward Kendall, that area, once known as the Rocky Pine lands was the site of an 1838 battle on horseback. Colonel Wm. S. Harney, armed with 50 test-repeating rifles delivered to him personally at Ft. Jupiter by Samuel Colt, tracked down and fought a group of Seminole Indians. The running battle on horseback occured in the Kendall-south Gables area. Let me know if you ever find a musket ball. The calibers of the repeating rifles were 36cal, 54 cal., and 69 cal.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome story and finds!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread