Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
South Miami to West Palm Beach & Naples to Marco Island

The time has come! ;D

I plan to be on the beach at sunrise detecting South Miami to West Palm Aug 29, 30, 31. ::) And detect Naples vicinity prior to sunset those days. :P Or maybe just stay on the Atlantic side, who knows! ;)

September 1, I plan to detect Sanibel Island up to St. Pete's Beach. :D

September 2, I plan to detect Clearwater to St. Pete's Beach up to 3 pm, then it's fly back to Misery, I mean Missouri. :'(

Any FL Treasure Hunters who would like to meet-up, send me an e. I would love to detect head to head with a Floridian! :o

Attached are some pics from my trip last October. :o

Oh, by the way, August 28 is me and my 1st mates 25th. wedding anniversary! 8) And she's the one who'll maintain the beach-head under the martha stewart umbrellas! 8)

And oh, I traded in my excal 800 and now have a 1000. 8) It's brand spankin new. :D I also got a straight shaft for it. ;)

Attachments

• St. Pete\'s Beach.JPG
    St. Pete\'s Beach.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 499
  • South Miami Beach.JPG
    South Miami Beach.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 513
  • Naples Pier.JPG
    Naples Pier.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 507
  • Fort Lauderdale.JPG
    Fort Lauderdale.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 508
  • Bowman\'s Beach.JPG
    Bowman\'s Beach.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 555
  • Fort Lauderdale.JPG
    Fort Lauderdale.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 499
  • Naples Pier.JPG
    Naples Pier.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 496
  • South Miami Beach.JPG
    South Miami Beach.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 488
  • St. Pete\'s Beach.JPG
    St. Pete\'s Beach.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 480
Upvote 0

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Re: South Miami to West Palm Beach & Naples to Marco Island

You will be in my neck of the woods. All I can say is get out in the morning so the heat does not melt you. Hopefully by the time you get here we will be back into a more normal summer time weather pattern which will me late afternoon thunderstorms ending around 5 which means a bit of a cool down and drives some of the crowd off the beach making for decent hunting between then and sundown.

Don't forget to hunt the passes where the inter-coastal waterway and gulf of Mexico meet up. If you stop at Sarasota (which will mean less crowds than St. Pete/Tampa/Clear water) you can hunt the south side of Big pass via N. Shell road on Siesta key side and the north via South Lido park (pronounced leedo). Lido side bends around north to a large flat beach has tot lot, picnic area and sand parking area so that area would provide more hunting grounds than you could ever cover in a week. Siesta/N. Shell side has been the better producer of the two for me.

Don't ask me why but the beach areas on the passes seem to replenish faster than the main public beaches and have better finds despite being less visited by the tourist crowd. In the case of Shell road access I believe this is an after hours spot and most everything they own gets lost during there drunk rolls in the sand and late night swims. I hit them often and have never seen any MD competition. I don't have a water machine so all the knee to waist deep stuff should still be there for you to find.

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Hey Murph,

Thanks for the tips! :o

I've detected south FL beaches in August once before and my plan is to get on the beach an hour before sunrise, detect to 9a-10a, take a breather from the beach 10a-4p, & be back on the beach till sunset. ;) I know that mid-morn to mid-afternoon sun will cook ya! :o

Shell road sounds like a destination! 8) I'll probably try to hit that spot saturday morning, sept 1, on my way up to clearwater. If you have nothin better to do than to M.D., drop me an e and maybe we can meet-up. 8)

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT

I usually hit shell road and I think I am the only one. I will leave it be for you so it has a chance to replenish. A builder has posted some no trespassing signs in a way that implies the beach is off limits but rest assured the beach is in fact public all the way down to your left as you face the pass. The first is a sat so I will stop by first light and see if your travel plans are on schedule. I will be the one with the metal detector of course.

Several complaints have been lodged against this builder/home owner for posting no trespassing signs on a public area. At on point three signs had been erected all the way down to the water. They were removed by the county and replaced with no dogs allowed signs. I returned at a later date to see that the one no trespass sign they allowed to remain facing toward the pass had been swung around toward the beach access to indicate once again that this section of the beach was off limits. I plan to call the county and complain and demand that some sort of penalty be enforced or threatened to keep these people from illegally posting these signs. All areas of beach below mean high tide mark are public in Florida, no ifs ands or buts about it and no exceptions.

Shell road access has been public forever and is an old timers out of the way access. This home owner is really asking for trouble as some of these old timers can be pushed to taking there own action pretty easily. Especially the snook fishermen who use this area extensively. As a metal detector you should have no problems at all.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:

Welcome to Florida. I will be hunting Marco Island the week of Aug. 27Th. Give me a shout if you are in that area.

Tek

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

teklord said:
Welcome to Florida. I will be hunting Marco Island the week of Aug. 27Th. Give me a shout if you are in that area.

Tek

Hey Tek, your on! 8)

Marco Island is definitely on my list. I'm stayin nights of the 28, 29, 30, and 31 in Miami but plans are, during the heat of the afternoon, to cruise across alligator alley to Marco Island-Naples and detect and catch the sunset ;D

Heck, it's only an hour drive on the alligator, and with a rental c and a plastic, miles are unlimited! :D

Here's a pic of my last visit to Marco. ;) South Marco Beach was the only free public beach access I could find. There's another beach access to the north, Tigertail but there was an admission fee :-[ And then there was a beach access area for residents only! >:(

Attachments

• South Marco Beach Access.JPG
    South Marco Beach Access.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 547
  • South Marco Beach Access.JPG
    South Marco Beach Access.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 280

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:

Hey Davy good luck on your trip, Watch out for the noseems and fire ants, still have wounds healing from my excursion to the east coast of Florida a couple weeks back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread