south Platte river in Colorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is it still legal to sluice in the S. Platte river in the Deckers area??

IF you can find public access it may be legal. There isn’t much public land, as it’s almost all private. Also, why bother, the gold there sucks compared to what you’ll find down in Denver. Down in town the Platte cuts down through an ancient deposit from a 40 million year old river so the gold is better downstream vs up stream in Deckers!

Feel free to PM me for details. I have a whole website about gold prospecting in Colorado!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The South Platte in the Deckers area is virtually all private property. Unless you get the permission of a land owner you can't prospect there. Most of the public land is reserved for camping but there might be some areas still open. Beware you will probably be disrespected by the many anglers who frequent the Deckers.

I suggest you get the book "Finding Gold in Colorado" to research areas open to the public. It's the most complete and useful book for prospecting open lands in Colorado.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
W

wizerdgreg

Sep 9, 2014
Thank you for the reply..! Haven't been there in many years..
Looks like now have no reason to return..
Full Pans..!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread