South Texas

coled18

Greenie
Dec 26, 2023
I was recommended by another member to post in here!

I just got some amazing permissions to bottle hunt last weekend, and permission to go back as I want to. A 52 room hotel (that had a sewage system), the foundations of a doctors house and boarding house, and the remains of several old store fronts and a doctors office, all of these places were built and discontinued in the 1900s-1910s. Only used for about 10 or 15 years.

I probed the field behind the store fronts for several hours, but couldn’t find a pit to save my life. Lots of wet clay ish dirt. Was it common for general stores and whatnot to have outhouses? Did they have trash pits?

I’m gonna go to the boarding house and doctors house foundations next weekend; If anyone is in the south Texas area and wants to join let me know! I could use more hands.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it common for general stores and whatnot to have outhouses? Did they have trash pits?
If they didn't have indoor plumbing I would assume they had an outhouse, though there may have been a "communal" one if there were several buildings together. Same thing with trash pits -- there may have been a larger one that several in the area shared. Ditches, ravines, sinkholes, and other low-lying areas would be worth checking out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread